LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 34401A multimeter to PC with Labview driver via RS232

In order to read more signals, you will most likely need to reduce the resolution of your signal.  The higher the resolution/accuracy, the longer it takes to settle out.  The default settings on these meters is for 5-1/2 digits with a lower resolution option of 4-1/2 digits and a higher one of 6-1/2 digits.  Frequency and AC Voltage tend to take much longer to derive a value than Resistance or Vdc.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 58
(1,765 Views)

Hello Gerd 

In the manual of Agilent 34401a, I just checked, it is showing me to turn off Auto Zero to make the reading speed double.

I have tried finding that to make it zero, but still not able to see such command in menu/sub menu  option.

Can anyone tell me how to do Auto Zero , OFF in Agilent 34401A.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 58
(1,807 Views)

The way to turn AUTORANGE - Off is to select a particular range and resolution if desired.  To measure a 7-volt DC signal, The correct SCPI syntax would be

MEAS:VOLT:DC? 10 

which would set the voltage range to 10V and effectively turn off the autorange function.  By default, the resolution is set for 5-1/2 digits (10 PLC).  By adding the resolution to the end of the query it will change the PLC response time.

MEAS:VOLT:DC? 10,0.003

The AUTOZERO will follow:

Autozero.png

If it helped - KUDOS
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 58
(1,766 Views)

Hi ashish,

Can anyone tell me how to do Auto Zero , OFF in Agilent 34401A.

Read page 59 of the manual!

The command is "ZERO:AUTO OFF"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 58
(1,784 Views)

Missing Post

If it helped - KUDOS
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 58
(1,779 Views)

Hi all , 

Without any input to DMM Agilent 34401A , it is reading all reading noises etc and I am able to write that in a file using Labview.

But, WHEN I put input to dmm from vibrator  and read it through lab view it show 1073481730 error , saying voltage overload and on DMM screen it suddenly shows 0.VLD VDC, and my program stops.

How can I read my input measurement and what changes in setting required to correct it. 

I am also attaching the snapshot of error occurs.

thanks and regards

Ashish

.0vo.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 58
(1,746 Views)

The Overload response is indicative of setting the range too low.  If you set the voltage range for 10V and have a 15V signal, you will get the overload response.

What are you trying to measure (Voltage, Frequency, Current,...)?

What is the peak value for this measurement type from the interfaced equipment (Vibrator)?

If it helped - KUDOS
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 58
(1,741 Views)

I am measuring VoltDC , the peak value is 10-12 volt. The range for this is 2 Volt to 12 volt DC. 

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 58
(1,738 Views)

The DC Voltage Range is 100mV, 1V, 10V, 100V, & 1000V range.  Make sure that the range is set to the 100V range to cover the max input of 12V with the best resolution.  If it was set to the 10V range, that may explain why you might see the overload condition.

If it helped - KUDOS
Message 39 of 58
(1,731 Views)

Thanks alot, its working

Ashish

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 58
(1,725 Views)