LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After the install I can't find the Run Time

Solved!
Go to solution

This seems ridiculous.  I generated an executable with the installer (2009) and installed it on a pc and everything worked great.  I now tried to install on a 2nd pc and although the N.I. Run Time folders are apparent, I can't find the button to push to get the Run Time running.  Is there a main file that I should be clicking?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(8,010 Views)

And National Instruments is not listed in the All Programs list.  Perhaps the run time never fully installed?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(8,009 Views)

No such thing as a button to start the run time engine. Does your exe start?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(8,004 Views)

There is no button to push to run the runtime. The LabVIEW Run-Time is just an engine - it's not an application. Your application is what runs. Did you create an installer for your application? If so, did you include the LabVIEW Run-Time to be installed? If not, then you need to explicitly install the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine on the target machine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(8,002 Views)

@ahhah wrote:

This seems ridiculous.  I generated an executable with the installer (2009) and installed it on a pc and everything worked great.  I now tried to install on a 2nd pc and although the N.I. Run Time folders are apparent, I can't find the button to push to get the Run Time running.  Is there a main file that I should be clicking?

Your statement makes little sense, maybe you can clarify it for us. (What are "N.I Run Time folders"? What is the meaning of "apparent"?, etc.)

The run-time engine is not something that needs to be started by pressing a button. All you do is run the executable applications, and it will silently and automatically find and use the correct run time engine. Could you show us a screenshot on what you are looking for?

(Also, built LabVIEW applications should not show the toolbar with the run button of the development system, because they should run when openend and close when done.)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(7,998 Views)

Windows says it can't open the file and asks me to select a program from the list.  If the runtime was supposed to be found automatically it didn't find and I'm assuming that the run time didn't load although there are a number of NI folders that did load.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(7,989 Views)

Is that what you get when you double-click on the .exe file? Did you actually install the LabVIEW Run-Time? Like I said, if you created an installer then you can include it. If not, then you need to explicitly install it. Did you?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(7,986 Views)

@ahhah wrote:

Windows says it can't open the file and asks me to select a program from the list.  If the runtime was supposed to be found automatically it didn't find and I'm assuming that the run time didn't load although there are a number of NI folders that did load.

This looks like a different problem. Are you really clicking on the executable???

If the runtime engine is not installed, clicking the executable will give you a dialog telling you what version of the runtime engine it is looking for. 

You get the "open with..." dialog, it means your OS does not have an assigned program to handle files with the given extension of the clicked file. This cannot be true for files ending with *.exe, unless your OS is corrupt. (In this case I recommend a virus scan).

Please show is a screenshot of the dialog you get.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(7,983 Views)

I'm not at the pc anymore or I'd include the screen shots.  The file I clicked after I thought I did the install was a .vi.  Which wasn't visible in the Explorer for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(7,978 Views)

A .vi file is NOT able to be used by the Runtime Engine, only a .exe file.

You need LabVIEW developer system to open a .vi file.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(7,971 Views)