From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After compiliation to exe file scanner adds 'j' character after scanned bar code (LV 8.2)

Hi,

One part of my application is scanning in serial numbers. During code development a bar code scanner works properly (scanning string to string cintrol). Everything is fine. However after compining to exe the 'j' character is scanned in as well.

Could it be a LV bug or it is something which I'm not aware of?

K

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,441 Views)

There are at least four other message threads that discuss the same problem.

Strange string control behavior in built app

Program behaves strangely under run-time system

LV 8.5.1: differing behavior of barcode scanner in VI and EXE

Symbol FZ barcode scanner not reading properly in LV7.1

None mentions how they solved the problem or what the cause was.  You might want to post a message in each one (and link back to this thread) just in case they have a subscription to their threads still.  One is particularly old, the other two are over a year old, so you may not get a response.

The quick fix would be just to ignore the "j" that is coming in and strip it off the string.

If you do figure out the cause, please post back and let us know.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 08-21-2009 09:42 PM
Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 08-21-2009 09:47 PM
Message 2 of 5
(3,432 Views)

Hi Ravens Fan,

Thanks for the index to the 'j' subjects. I read them all.

What I can add I use three types of scanners. All of them are made by Intermec. Two of them are Scan Plus 1800 SR (one USB, second is sharing PS2 port with a keyboard). Third one is SR30. It works thru USB. I have the 'j' problem with SR 30 only. As you probably know I checked almost all configurations.

What surprised me in the settings for SR30 the ASCII characters map was extended. Outside the proper ASCII map a table with additional (overlapping) characters was attached. The description near by that table said that there are additional 'things' (I don't remember now what was it) for keyboard wedge. It was a set of roughly 30 character/(events?) which you could use to send with scanned barcode(as a postable and preamble as well).

Do you know what was it?

For sure when I get know something I'll post it immediatelly.

Cheers

K.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,399 Views)

I have not used these scanners before.  But reading your message I remembered reading about the J problem.  I was surprised to find as many messages as I did.

I think the problem is only with the scanners that "act as a keyboard wedge".  They basically generate keyboard scan codes that can't be mapped to an ASCII character.  Think of things like control, alt, print screen.  I think the two enter keys even have different scan codes.  For whatever reason, the scanner is sending a code that LabVIEW interprets as a J.  The question really is why these scanners are even sending that code?  Is there a way to disable it in the scanner's driver?

Message 4 of 5
(3,388 Views)

Hi I've several programs of labview in many version since 8.5 to 2022, and just a days ago It appears almost the same problem with a DS6707 Digital Imager Scanner, and a labview exe program, the scanner always adds a number 2 in the end of the scanned code, in a notebook or any other text interpreter didn't happen. I try to change the version of labview from 2018 to 2022 and the same problem, I change the scanner for a symbol with other type of driver and it works like the usual, so I started to think that is any kind of setting in the scanner driver.

I read your post and your ideas and I start to test some of the several configurations that you can change in these type of scanners. And at least for my scanner it works.

DS6707 Digital Imager Scanner Product Reference Guide (72E-83978-09 Rev A)

In the manual in the USB interface section I Enable the Keypad Emulation and that solves my problem with the extra character that only labview in exe adds.

After I activate that configuration my problem was solved and so far the scanner behaves properly.

Hopefully this could help.

Greetings

Message 5 of 5
(837 Views)