cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Installers

Solved!
Go to solution
Spoiler

We purchased a PXI8101 w Windows 7 and using Labview 2012.  In the other PXI slots we have PXI6230, PXI2564, 2503 and 4065.  From the Knowledge Base I understand I must include DAQmx for the 6230 in the additional installations tab of the application builder.  I'm going to port to a target machine.

1) What drivers do I need for the other PXI cards to include (  additional installations tab) or does the daqmx support those? The 2564, 2530 and 4065??

2) do I need to include the MAX config.nce file??  I've given my DMM and relay cards "names" in MAX but I thought that was just for my interaction.  In other words when I call up a vi that uses the DMM the id is DMM.  When you create the exe the front panel goes away so does it still need MAX??

3) There are links on some discussion grp pages that are suppose to take you to the latest RT engine for LV but they're blank.  Is that only if you need to purchase??  We have the full developemnt sys.  Is the RTE included?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,501 Views)

Wow lots of questions, sorry if I miss any.

Lets start with the Run-Time Engine (RTE).  LabVIEW's RTE is free for deployment EXEs.  If you build a EXE, then you build an installer, under the Additional Installers you'll want to select the RTE for the EXE you built.  This is selected by default so no worries there.  Then when you install this on a fresh normal Windows machine, a basic normal LabVIEW EXE should run.  Your EXE may use other toolkits and need more additional installers.  Which ones is an educated guess if you are unfamiliar with it.  In 2013 NI made a way for the installers needed to be automatically selected.  I haven't tried this but bet it is prone to issues.  It can be partially a trial an error process.  Build the EXE, build the installer, run the installer on a fresh machine and see if it runs without error.  If the EXE is broken it will try to suggest the component needed.  Then you'll need to figure out what is needed in the additional installers to make it work.

In your case you will need DAQmx that is a given and you mentioned it.  You will probably only need the DAQmx Core Runtime, and DAQmx MAX Configuration Support.  Do you use a serial port?  Then you'll also need the VISA Runtime.  Do you use XNET?  Then you'll need to include that.  This will make your installers baloon in size, but it will include all the needed drivers for all DAQ hardware/VISA/XNET based on what is selected.  The goal is to make a single installer that you run and a fresh machine can run the EXE with. 

As for the MAX config.  In your code if you reference a physical channel, virtual channel, task, scale, or hardware by the alias made in MAX then you will need this same alias on your deployed system.  The easiest way to do this is probably to make an Export in MAX of your config, then in your installer settings there is a page for Hardware Configuration and you can provide a NCE file to get imported after the install is done.  For this to work properly you'll want the hardware in the system before the install, otherwise you'll need to import the NCE again after the hardware is installed.

EDIT: Here is a link to the LabVIEW 2012 SP1 RTE.  You don't need to download this, checking the RTE from the additional installers is all that is needed, but I wanted to show you the link where you can get the RTE for free.

Message 2 of 4
(2,483 Views)

Nice  !  Thanks...I wish I could give more than one kudo because to me that explaination deserved it..  I was clicking on so many links about installers and exe I forgot what my initial question was.  You summized everything nicely.  Some of the explainations in the Knowledge Base used the word they were trying to explain in the definition.  I guess you're required to know some basic terms which I didn't.  I never saw anything until now about the DAQmx Core Runtime, and DAQmx MAX Configuration Support. 

The only thing I think you missed was my question about the relay cards ( MUX and SPST) and the DMM.  Do I need to include the drivers for those or are they included in DAQmx??

I don't use a serial port nor XNET.  I do use USB.

You should write your own KB...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,476 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clint_Eastwood1000

Similar to DAQ devices needing the DAQmx additional installers, the DMM will also need to have NI-DMM included.  Again this will include all the drivers needed for Windows to recognize the hardware, and for MAX to see it configure it, use test panels, and use it in your built EXE.  

Same with any switch devices.  I haven't used them much but I think what you want is to include the NI-Switch software as the additional installer.  Did you use Switch Executive?  You'll need to include that and I think that has a deployment license.  Not sure about exporting any Switch Executive config and importing it on the deployment PC.

I don't need to write any KB, I just am here to help, and to get help too.  Thanks for the kudos.

Message 4 of 4
(2,465 Views)