From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding intensity to 3d parametric graph

I am trying to find a way to add intensity to a 3d parametric graph. I want to use the newest 3d parametrc graph in labview 8.6. So basically, i have my X, Y, and Z data, but i want to be able to change the color depending on values from a 4th input.  The Plot Parametric sub vi has an input labled color matrix, but i cant find any information on what this does. Anyone know?  I also though i could use the surface color map property node option, but not sure what format it is expecting and if this will work.  Anyone have any suggestions?

much appreciated, thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,824 Views)

Howdy!

Perhaps KnowledgeBase 1UGI14DM: Is There a Way to Assign a Pseudo 4th Dimension to a 3D Graph in LabVIEW or ... may provide some insight?

Joshua B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,801 Views)

Thanks for the reply disco. We have actually figured it out since this post, sorry i didnt update the thread.

As it turns out, the color matrix input and the surface color map property node were both needed to make it work. (basically works like the color ramp ect.)  If anyone needs more details let me know and ill post an example.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,780 Views)

Can you post an example or more details.  Basically, I have an antenna pattern plotted as a 3D surface and I want to create an "intensity" view where the magnitude is mapped to different colors.

- Sufu

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,608 Views)

sufu wrote:

Can you post an example or more details.  Basically, I have an antenna pattern plotted as a 3D surface and I want to create an "intensity" view where the magnitude is mapped to different colors.

- Sufu

"There is nothing new under the sun." Eclesiastes

See this thread starting at post # 7 I offered a series of posts that serve as a worse case tutorial.

All of the code is included.

Here are some previews.

Again these are just previews. See that thread for the example code and to read how it was done.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 13
(6,579 Views)

Thanks for the info...that worked perfectly...You were a big help...

The attached image is what I was able to generate.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,562 Views)

Thank you soooooo much for posting that image!

I am in the business of developing instrumentation, so my work ends when the measurements begin so seeing the fruit of my labors is a specail treat.

THANK YOU!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,542 Views)

How was the image in the post above created? I have been banging my head against that problem for far too long (about two weeks). My shape is a little more regular, just a simple sphere. I have explored using sensor mapping, issue being I don't have a set number of sensors. My data input can have any arbitrary number of points on the sphere as we ramp up the step size.

Was this just done using color matrix and 3D parametric plot? Or was this done using the suggested HiQ (still not sure what that is) method. I am fairly new to labview (and a little dense) so as much detail as possible would be helpful.

If someone could enlighten me they would make my past two weeks.

Sousuke

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,240 Views)

HiQ is ancient history so forget about that.

The above just used the examples I linked and posted with their own data set.

What part of that is giving you trouble?

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,225 Views)

My issue is applying the intensity map to the sphere. I can only find examples of 3D intensity plots are of a 2D surface with height, not a 3D object where there may be two different heights for a given x and y, and of those they have a color ramp mapped to z. It may be that I don't fully understand how the color matrix work. Does the color matrix allow you to set each point on a 3D object?

The lumpy sphere above is the first indication that I have seen that this is possible. The antenna mapping is an example of everything else I have seen 2D surface with height.

I imagine the answer is I am making this too hard on myself and missing something simple.

Sousuke

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,209 Views)