LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding VIs to pre-existing instr.lib packages and having them show up in LabVIEW "Instrument I/O" panel

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently installed a Keysight instrument library to the instr.lib folder.  Opened up LabVIEW and there it is in all its glory, a bunch of VIs to operate a Keysight instrument.  But there were some implementation techniques I didn't necessarily agree with, so I added a couple VIs to (imo) do it better.  Added them to the project and their respective folder locations, yet they do not appear in the Block Diagram LabVIEW menu.  Is there something I have to do to the .mnu files in order for them to be visible?  Looking at them via txt, it appears to be mostly gibberish.  So not a simple addition.  If this is the way, is there a white paper on this?  If it is not, how does one do this?

(Also, I am aware of the issue of these VIs only being available to me until distributed properly to team)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(816 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DailyDose

From toolbar => Tools => Advanced => Edit Palette Set...

You can add your VI to the palette, LabVIEW will update the .mnu when you save.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(810 Views)

a) It's suggested to create your own folder under Instrument I/O and put all VIs there

b) Should you consider to deliver this package to others (i. e. customers), then take the folder "as is", including the all the *.mnu in subfolders and either zip and provide or create a package with a package manager. 

c) Should you consider to also deliver a help file in the form like LV does, every VI can contain a short description that will appear in the small help window, plus you can place a keyword. The keyword is used to open direct help pages in compatible file types (CHM, HLP). The keyword would create the blue link you sometimes find in the small help window. When clicking it would open the assigned help file which you also must link in every VI you are going to offer help for. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(757 Views)

@zou wrote:

From toolbar => Tools => Advanced => Edit Palette Set...

You can add your VI to the palette, LabVIEW will update the .mnu when you save.

That did the trick, thank you

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(727 Views)