From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding VIs to LLBs - Is there an Easy Way?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I have a question about using the LLB Manager to make an LLB file.  I currently have a bunch of VIs in a LabVIEW project and would like to add them to an existing (or new) LLB.  The only way i've found to do this is by going into each VI and performing a "Save As" and saving the VI within the LLB.  Is there no simple way of dragging and dropping VIs into an LLB?  Or maybe even an batch save/import into the LLB?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,961 Views)

LLBs are outdated and should not be used. Use lvlib instead.

Felix 

Message 2 of 8
(3,953 Views)
Do not use llbs. There is simply no reason for llbs except possibly to do a final distribution. They are obsolete for development use. A quick search will show you some of the dangers - i.e. a single corrupt VI will rendoer the entire llb unuseable and they don't play well at all with SCC. Since you have the VIs in a project, create a lvlib instead.
Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 10-06-2009 09:09 AM
Message 3 of 8
(3,952 Views)
Well... I appreciate both of your responses. However... I believe that lvlibs cause more frustration then anything else.  My team has come across issues with lvlibs and conflicting paths (when using CM tools) and have resorted to using LLBs because they offer a clean set of file dependencies.  I understand that lvlibs are probably more robust, but they are not an option right now. Therefore...  the question I originally asked still remains.  Is there a quick and easy way to add a bunch of VIs to an LLB without having to save each one of them separately to the LLB?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,943 Views)

The OpenG builder for LV 7.1 (I don't know if newer versions still support llb's) is allowing to save as dll. As it is open source, you might find inside what you are looking for. I neither have the time or interst to dig it up on my own.

Felix 

Message 5 of 8
(3,934 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PhilipJoeP
I think you can create a Source Distribution of your code and indicate that it should all go into an LLB.  Alternatively, you could use the VIs in vi.lib\utility\libraryn.llb to write a utility that would move all your VIs into an LLB.
Message 6 of 8
(3,916 Views)

I hate to pile on here, but I have to agree - lvlibs are very difficult/dangerous to use.  I reverted to just piling everything into one directory and zipping them.  Ugly, but it works everytime, while avoiding file dependency conflicts causing sub-vi's to be un-executable, and worse, un-removable from missing libraries.  May main desire is not too maintain change control, but to be able to distribute point versions once.  Most of the time I will have many working versions of a code, and if a library insists on trying to synchronize these across 5 computers upon which code development will be done, it is a guaranteed mess.

Rave off.

RipRock 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,748 Views)

I know that it's over a year later, but I'm piling on too.  lvlibs drive me nuts...  dependency conflicts scare my customers.  I really shouldn't have to tell the compiler that I'm NOT using deleted files anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,214 Views)