LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding String Data to a "Write to Measurement File"

Solved!
Go to solution

I have array data that I am writing to an XLSX spreadsheet using the "Write to Measurement File" VI. I would like to first add string data to the top of this spreadsheet (title, operator ect)

Can string data be added to this VI?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,788 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CastleWorks

You can write strings to a file using the "Write to Measurement File" VI, you just have to write your strings before or after you write your numerics as the the "Write to Measurement File" VI can only write one data type at a time.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,764 Views)

Gotcha.....had not thought about do it as two seperate write operations. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,759 Views)

I might have spoke too soon....I am having problems converting the string data to dynamic data that the express VI is looking for. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,751 Views)

Oh, yeah don't use the Express VI's The Express VI's are only intended to be used in those half day LabVIEW sales pitches seminars to demostrate how fast you can just throw something together. 

Use the "Write Delimited Spreadsheet VI"

Here is a very simplified example of writing strings like say column headers and then rows of numerics to a spreadsheet file.

wrt.png

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,741 Views)

My string data is not an array, its just title information that I am building and bringing together with the concatenate strings.....then I want to write it to the top of the spreadsheet.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,731 Views)

@CastleWorks wrote:

My string data is not an array, its just title information that I am building and bringing together with the concatenate strings.....then I want to write it to the top of the spreadsheet.

Thoughts?

So make it an array (use the Build Array function) and write it first, then write your numerics.

wrt.png

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,712 Views)