LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding PDF manuals and documents to the help menu on an executable

To All,

I am looking to add some PDF files of various manuals, schematics, word docs, ect under the help drop down menu in an executable I am going to build. I have seen this done in test stand and I was wondering if it is possible to add them to a regular VI I want to turn into an executable.

I have already added them to the virtual folders of my LabView Project. I poked around the applicaiton builder and know how to have the documents copied over with the installer, but I would like a way to embed them into my applicaion.

I've done some searching through the posts and could not find anything that mentions this specifically.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,969 Views)

BoatDrinks00

You may have already tried here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B110DFD5187DA24A862573F40065294D?OpenDocument   🙂

Sam S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,954 Views)

@Boatdrinks00 wrote:

To All,

I am looking to add some PDF files of various manuals, schematics, word docs, ect under the help drop down menu in an executable I am going to build. I have seen this done in test stand and I was wondering if it is possible to add them to a regular VI I want to turn into an executable.

I have already added them to the virtual folders of my LabView Project. I poked around the applicaiton builder and know how to have the documents copied over with the installer, but I would like a way to embed them into my applicaion.

I've done some searching through the posts and could not find anything that mentions this specifically.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Joe

You want to view them in your application, or open them (in their own programs) from your application?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,942 Views)

You can embed them with active X or add code to open the pdb with system exec.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,938 Views)

Guys,

thanks for the quick responses. I may not have explained what I am trying to do very well.

I would like to add a new field to the menu tool bar (user documents) or add files to the existing "help" drop down menu option.

I would like to be able to have the main program be able to access a manual for the power supply, bar code scanner or a PDF schematic of the UUT from the main program. I know labview can't open them directly, but I would like to be able to provide a quick link to access them. 

As Sam S. has mentioned, I have been able to successfully include them in the build/installer. The piece I am missing is how to link them to a drop down menu from the standard menu bar. I have seen it done in test stand, I just have not figured out how to roll that into LabView yet.

I greatly appreciate your help and assistance with this.

Thanks,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,916 Views)

Standard menu bar?  It this the application menu bar of your built exe?

I would handle the event to this selection and call system exec with the comand prompt for acrobat and the path switch statement for the doc you want to open, then the event will open the viewer with the doc you specified.

Am I understanding the question?  new menu choice Help>>Power supply will open the pdf for the power supply?

Other approaches can include opening a html doc that has links to all other pdfs (like a table of contents)

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,909 Views)