LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add link to VI to comments/VI description

Dear LabVIEW community,

let me, please, ask you a dummy question.

Is it possible to add link to VI in the project, into comments or another VI description? Or there could be added links to web?
My idea is to add to VI description link to other VIs, so when I click on them, it will point that VI in the project tree. Ctrl+Shift+E - is not the option, b/c it points the opened VI. And I'd like to go by that link to other VIs/items in the project.

Thanks a lot in advance,

sincerely, kosist90.

Message 1 of 4
(3,704 Views)

I am not sure if i correctly understand your suggestion. But that term brings me to one important point:

As suggestion, you should probably post that in the idea exchange section.

Anyhow, you can always add text which reflects a location of a 'target' in the description. But this is not an active link which allows the user to navigate by button hit.

I recommend you to implement this in the help. You can add web-based help (HTML files) as 'help path' in the VI documentation. This will enable the context help window to display a link called "Detailed help". In that web-page, you can add any additional link to other help files or LV VIs.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 4
(3,686 Views)

Norbert_B, thanks a lot for your reply!

Yes, I thought about adding string to documentation, this is the easiest thing to do, and even could be nicely scripted (like it is done in MGI Actor's messages maker)...

And regarding html file - is it possible to point from it to project tree item; and not file in the directory? Because opening files from directory would be not the nice solution...

But, I guess, that even from html file it is not possible to go by link to VI in the project tree... Here is needed some scripting tool; maybe some custom project provider?

All the point is to simplify debugging of actor's messages, when we have "Send ..." vi on the block diagram, and from it we need to find method which is called by it (search Send method in project tree -> go to Do.vi method of the message -> open method VI there -> go to actor's lib where that method is). As I've told, MGI tool nicely adds method path to Send.vi method; but in case of Abstract messages we need to use anyway standard Actor scripting tool. And then fun with debugging begins ))

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,661 Views)

Hi kosist90,

I stumbled on your post looking for the same thing, I encourage you to post it as an Idea Exchange.

Coincidently, for your specific use case have a look at this, I believe it does what you are looking for. 

Looking forward to seeing it in the Idea Exchange 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,066 Views)