LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive alignment for subdiagram label

hi forum

always find it difficult to read the subdiagram label whenever the structure exceeded 2 screen widths (when avoiding stacked sequences). Can we have subdiagram labels that will always be visible, like its text will center itself within the subdiagram label portion that is within the viewable workspace, or left adjusted when the label text length exceeded the subdiagram label space.

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,676 Views)

@cy... wrote:

...whenever the structure exceeded 2 screen widths.

That's your problem right there. If you (or the one who made the code) follow the development guidelines and keep the maximum size to be smaller than one screen, you wouldn't need this. See the LabVIEW style checklist.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,663 Views)

the scenario typically involves flat sequence in a case structure, result of using low level functions

one possible workaround is to convert the sequence into subVI, but then another problem can occur when LV loads subVIs based on names; as long as the name matches (no hash checks, only a warning that it is loaded from another location). This can happen when you inherit projects, re-use codes from other parties or from some other projects, or having shared-access code storage.

LV should have been bundled with some SCC tools

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,657 Views)

"LV should have been bundled with some SCC tools"

- LV was bundled with its own SCC tool once, and it was a horrible experience. Thank god its not. But new users should somehow be helped into understanding why SCC is important. Introduction to programming should mention SCC (and maybe it does).

Message 4 of 13
(3,648 Views)

>LV should have been bundled with some SCC tools

LV is bundled with some SCC tools.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,645 Views)

"LV is bundled with some SCC tools"

- Yes there are tools to use with SCC if that's what you mean, but I think he meant something like Git or SVN.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,632 Views)

@thols & wiebe: which SCC tools are you referring to?

but even with SCC, it can help but still doesn't ensure LV itself load the right file. if only there is an option for LV to save the whole project as a single file, automatically saving all right dependencies. that will make sure the codes are loaded correctly

without the SCC, lengthy low level function sequences should have some support like auto-centering labeling for structure sub labels, including case selector labels. or some new floating "skewer" wires that create dependencies between functions without actually connecting the connector pane terminals, that would save significant space between frames (by replacing sequence structure)

regardless SCC or not, the suggestion is to improve readability of the labels on the BD, having it being able to move left/right (or even up/down) of large or partially out-of-view structures can be useful. that said, at norm the labels should automatically dock at its default place within the structure. maybe, should have pen it as floating auto-docking sub-label from the start 😅  

just some suggestions...

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,631 Views)

There's this:

SCC Tools.PNG

Can't say I ever used it, I'm OK with external tools.

Also there's LVMerge and LV Compare.

but even with SCC, it can help but still doesn't ensure LV itself load the right file. if only there is an option for LV to save the whole project as a single file, automatically saving all right dependencies. that will make sure the codes are loaded correctly

How is a single file different from a single folder hierarchy?

I keep everything in a single folder hierarchy, and if dependencies are not in that hierarchy, a single file won't work either.

without the SCC, lengthy low level function sequences should have some support like auto-centering labeling for structure sub labels, including case selector labels. or some new floating "skewer" wires that create dependencies between functions without actually connecting the connector pane terminals, that would save significant space between frames (by replacing sequence structure)

I really can't see the relation between SCC and auto-centering for labels...

It's OT anyway...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,621 Views)

@wiebe

>There's this:

isn't that for external SCC?

>How is a single file different from a single folder hierarchy?

in a shared location, folder contents can be renamed/replaced/moved/deleted, not to mention that single file is was easier for manage, as opposed to my daily routine of zipping folders. furthermore, within a single file, we can also have version history tracking for subVIs, in case of any changes/updates.

>I really can't see the relation between SCC and auto-centering for labels...

my bad, auto-centering of labels can assist for large structures with low level functions where SCC is unavailable to control the subVI versions. alternatively, to reduce the BD size, the "skewer" idea is just another way to represent dependency without using frames, but the compromise may be readability.

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,557 Views)

@cy... wrote:

>There's this:

isn't that for external SCC?

Yes, all SCC is external 😉.

I see now that you want LabVIEW to have build-in, "internal", SCC.

IMHO, It wouldn't be good if NI had to actually make that. It would cost resources, the result wouldn't be as good as external tools, external tools support multiple flavors, etc.

@cy... wrote:

>How is a single file different from a single folder hierarchy?

in a shared location, folder contents can be renamed/replaced/moved/deleted, not to mention that single file is was easier for manage, as opposed to my daily routine of zipping folders. furthermore, within a single file, we can also have version history tracking for subVIs, in case of any changes/updates.

One file is easier to manage? We used to have llbs. Those where one file, and terrible.

>in a shared location, folder contents can be renamed/replaced/moved/deleted,

Yes, that is easy managing. Very convenient, for me...

> as opposed to my daily routine of zipping folders

That is why people use SCC.

Why not use an external SCC? Git or HG don't require a remote repository.

>we can also have version history tracking for subVIs

VIs have a version history. You can even get a popup at each save, prompting for changes.

Never used it, SCC is a better experience in every way...

@cy... wrote:

>I really can't see the relation between SCC and auto-centering for labels...

my bad, auto-centering of labels can assist for large structures with low level functions where SCC is unavailable to control the subVI versions. alternatively, to reduce the BD size, the "skewer" idea is just another way to represent dependency without using frames, but the compromise may be readability.

The version history of VIs would help for that (if SCC can't be used).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,494 Views)