From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX control for Speech Recognition

I'm looking for a speech recognition activeX control for use in LabView. I'm developing a motion control application and need the user to input commands verbally. I'm using LabView 7.1 on a WinXP system.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(12,526 Views)
Hi made_it_so, to use an activeX control in LV, you need to have that particular sw installed and that sw must be activeX capable -- once you do that, you can use the automation refnum and access the activeX class for that particular speech recognition. What kind of speech recognition sw are you using?

Thanks, VNIU
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(12,526 Views)
Hi VNIU, thanks for getting back to me.

Actually, identifying a particular speech recognition package is where I need the help. If you could suggest one that will work as you described I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
MIS.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(12,526 Views)
Hi,

NI actually has an example program Voice Recognition in LabVIEW that is available for download. The example actually provides 2 examples of voice recognition: one using the ActiveX properties of Microsoft Agent (available from MSDN), the other uses the Dragon Daturally Speaking program.

Also, you might be interested in this Discussion Forum post: Speech Recognition Software

Have fun!

Kileen C.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(12,526 Views)
Hi Kileen, thanks so much for getting back to me.

I've looked into the download you recommended and it is helpful in the TTS side of things but I couldn't find any SR component. Can you tell me where I missed it?

Many thanks,
MIS
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(12,526 Views)
Hi MIS,

There are six example programs that are available with the download. In the MSAgent Examples.llb (\examples\VoiceRecognition\MSAgent Voice\MSAgent Examples.llb), there are 2 examples that use speech recognition:

MSAgent Signal Generation and Processing.vi is an example that uses speech recognition. It is a modification of Signal generation and processing.vi that is included with LabVIEW (Help -> Examples -> Demonstrations -> Analysis). It contains 2 subVIs for creating the voice menu and displaying the available commands. This example uses subVIs from c:\program files\national instruments\labview 6\examples\apps\demos.llb and controlmix.llb.

MSAgent User Interface Event Example.vi is a 2nd example using speech rec
ognition. It is a modification of User Interface Event Example.vi that is included with LabVIEW (Help -> Examples -> Advanced -> User Interface Development). It also contains 2 subVIs for creating the voice menu and displaying the available commands.

Let me know if you still have any questions. Also, if you are using LabVIEW 7.x, you might be missing the "Read Text Info (one file).vi" as well as the "demofile.dat" file that are available in LabVIEW 6. I have attached them to this post below.

Hope this helps!

Kileen C.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(12,526 Views)
Hi All,
Exactly we are looking for the same speech recognition with ActiveX Control
We are more concentrating on the other example 203644.zip i.e Dragon Nat Speak.
From one of the NI representative we came to know that Dragon is comparitively the best than MSAgent.
But the Dragon which we are having the zip was a older version and showing the broken VI's
Attached bmp's are the errors i am getting.
Please let me know if any of you having the updated version....
This is my pesonal and official mail ID
suneel.joy@gmail.com
Do reply me at the earliest because we have our deadline....
Or if any of you have developed this kind of application for ur application please provide the same.,,,

Cheers,
Suneel.V

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(11,755 Views)

Hi Suneel,

As referenced on the download page for that example, "the Dragon NaturallySpeaking example was written with for older versions and has not been fully tested with current versions. The example needs modifications to work with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8.0. Some ActiveX references and methods need to be relinked. ActiveX callbacks should be rewritten to use Register for Event Callback method."

It appears that the links that are broken on your VI more than likely correspond to those referenced in that note.  Unfortunately I was unable to find a more recent example for you using the Dragon Naturally Speaking software.

Has anybody else looked at a more recent Voice Recognition VI using this software?

David_B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(11,726 Views)
David,

Nobody has replied to my mail...
Actually i'm looking for those kind of VI's
Even i talked to Dragon People (Nuance)
They are not aware about this API in Labview...
Could you please let me know if there are anybody who are using the same Dragon naturally speaking 8.0
now it is
Dragon naturally speaking 9.0
And using for the same....

Because our manager is ready to buy that software from Nuance....
They will give the API's and a sample program..
Based on the Activex components present in Labview, i've to modify it accordiongly...
But to be frank i'm poor in Activex components of Labview...
So please also help
how to get expertise in Activex component....

Thanks in Advance..

Cheers,
Suneel.V
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(11,695 Views)
What version of LabVIEW are you using?  I recommend searching for ActiveX using the Search Tool on ni.com as a starting point.
Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(11,665 Views)