From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active X AlertBrowser Slow to initiate

Solved!
Go to solution

Active X component is very slow to launch; in below image, the part that is circled takes about 7 seconds to execute.

AxtiveX.JPG

After the Action Log becomes active, it works well.  Just takes too long to launch.  Any ideas?

Labview 2015 Pro, DSC Module, Windows Server 2012 OS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,188 Views)

Hi !

Did you try in another developer machine? Same behavior?

Let me check.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,130 Views)

At your suggestion, I tried it on another server.  The VI launches immediately!  Any clues as to why it comes up slowly on the this new server?  It is so slow that the title bar changes to the familiar "(Not Responding)".

Gretchen

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,110 Views)

Main differences between both servers?  Can you go to task manager and see what are both running?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,097 Views)

Both look the same:        servers are dedicated to this one Labview project

TasksonServer.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,094 Views)

Just to be clear, are both servers that we are discussing on the same or different machines?

Are these both being run from the same user account (or at least as an administrator)?

Assuming the VIs are the same PC, are they running from the same drive?

Best

Sam R.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,085 Views)

Hi, I appreciate your time in helping me out.

I have two distinct server machines!  One is the existing server/Labview system, put into service in 2015.

The 2nd one is a brand new Windows Server  2012R2 which is the development server.  I moved a copy of the Labview application from the existing to the new, and then started the Phase II part of the project.  The VIs that use the ActiveX objects are the same as on the existing server/system currently in use.  On the development system, the 'Action Logs' (the Active X objects) work once the VI completely launches.  But it just takes so long to come up.

This week, I have tried:

• building the application into an executable (which is how we use it anyway), but I get the same behavior.
  • I have checked a Windows related config file, and a National Instruments config file for something like a 'ActiveX Enabled' setting.  But found none.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,081 Views)

realized I didn't answer all of your questions:

Yes, running from the same account on both servers, and yes I have admin rights.

All VIs are located on drive C

Gretchen

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,070 Views)

One more additional bit of info:  I am using the add-on DSC Module, Alarms & Events display feature

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,067 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GretchenSkellyZimmer

I figured out what my problem was!  I am working with a DSC Alarm & Display ActiveX Object, and there is a 'process' associated with it.  When I right-clicked on the object and chose Alarm&EventDisplay -> ChoseProcess, it showed me that the process from the other server was still associated with the object.  So, the delay in activation was due to the fact that it was connecting to the other server over the network.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,064 Views)