LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated LabVIEW 8.6 and now Labview 7.1 won't run

Hello folks,

I have a development computer that has had LV7.1 and LV8.6 installed on it for several months; however, I have only used LV7.1 because LV8.6 was not activated...until yesterday.  Now LV7.1 will not run, and the symptoms are as follows:

When I click the LV7.1 .exe the LV7.1 splash screen comes up, but it hangs when the message on the splash screen says "Server: Exported VIs list OK".  I have let it stay in this state for 15minutes, but the application doesn't go any further than this.

I have tried:

1. repairing LV7.1

2. uninstalling and reinstalling LV7.1

1. Should it be possible to execute LV7.1 or LV8.6 on the same computer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,585 Views)

Yes, it's possible to run multiple versions of LabVIEW on the same computer, as long as they get installed in increasing order.

Here's something quick to try: rename the LabVIEW.ini file in the LabVIEW 7.1 directory and see if 7.1 starts up. 

Message 2 of 7
(2,567 Views)

Hello smercurio_fc,

Thanks for the information.  Just to keep the thread in tact, renaming the LabVIEW.ini file did not do the trick (I assume the idea was that the .ini file may have been corrupt/erroneous and deleting it would force LabVIEW to re-create it)?

I am using the fpga module for LV7.1 and the fpga and real-time modules for LV8.6.  From a very lengthy process of installing/uninstalling/re-installing LV and the fpga/real-time modules, it appears that LV7.1 becomes "un-runnable" when the fpga module (8.6.1) is activated.  I don't have a clue about why this is happening.

I think my solution is going to be to create 2 bootable (i.e. System) partitions; one for LV7.1 and one for LV8.6 and unmount the drive for the one that is not in use.  It's not ideal (I'd prefer to have one system drive with both LV7.1 and LV8.6 installed on it), but it isn't working out so I have to adapt and overcome.

Best Regards,

Chris 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,547 Views)

Hi there

Try to add these keys to your LabVIEW.ini:

paletteAsyncLoad=False
paletteLazyLoad=True

(check if they already exist).

With these settings the palettes will be loaded only when they are needed, and not during launch of LV.

Then (after LV has hopefully started) you may try which palette is causing trouble.

Best regards
chris

CL(A)Dly bending G-Force with LabVIEW

famous last words: "oh my god, it is full of stars!"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,532 Views)

I use LV 7.1, 8.0, 8.21, 8.5 and 8.6 on the same PC with not much problems (addons get a little confusing but do work).  Is it possible that your firewall is blocking labview?  I know with 8.0 I had some issues with the boot of LV because of the firewall blocking labview.  You can also try an repair if the ini trick doesnt work.  I know these versions can coexest.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,526 Views)

All,

Thanks for the input.  For time's sake I uninstalled all NI products and reinstalled just LV7.1 and FPGA 1.1.  At the moment, I'm working on installing LV8.6, FPGA 8.6, and Real-Time 8.6... Please wish me luck!

Best Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,498 Views)

Multiple botts is a good idea.

Yes you can run multiple version of LV core on the same machine but MAX is another story.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,493 Views)