cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acronym for "mx" in DAQmx and ELVISmx

Solved!
Go to solution

@JÞB wrote:

LabVIEW 7.1 was revolutionary for allowing the creation of "Polymorphic.vi's" and Express.vi's" by the common user base.   Both were necessary for DAQmx.

You could certainly create poly VIs before 7.1 (certainly in 6.x and I think it might even go back before that). I think that the express VI creation wizard was indeed only added in 7.1, but if memory serves, you had to buy it separately (or maybe it came only with the dev suite).

(739 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

As far as I know, it doesn't stand for anything. It's like most of the initials you see tacked onto car model names -- though a few like GT are initials -- or for that matter the names themselves. I drive an Elantra - meaningless (in English at least, Korean?), but cool sounding. 

Mike...

I didn't bother looking it up now, but if I remember correctly, the point of that (as well as many other names) was simply to sound cool (in this case having the "elan" in the name).

(738 Views)

Back to the original question. 

RFmx marketing materials show Measurment eXperience as the mx.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(480 Views)

The way I remember it, the "killer feature" of DAQmx for *my* purposes was that the DAQmx driver became Multi-*threaded*.   A call to "DAQmx Read" would no longer block all other tasks from having access to the driver the way it did under the single-threaded legacy version of NI-DAQ.  A huge improvement for apps with multiple tasks running simultaneously.

Multi-Function, Multi-Threading, Multi-Task, Multi-XXXXX... ---> "mx".   Yeah, the story kinda adds up.

[Edit:  Oops, replied before reading to the bottom of the thread.  Oh well, whatever the new marketing slogan may be, I'd still say that "mx" for "multi-everything" would have been a *better* meaning.]

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(471 Views)

The mx actually stands for  'measurement experience' , though, I liked Mike's car model analogy.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(441 Views)