LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acronym for "mx" in DAQmx and ELVISmx

Solved!
Go to solution

My Google-fu, reference book-fu, and forum-search-fu have failed me utterly... I'm sure this was answered during the transition from NI-DAQ to DAQmx, but all electronic references to this have long since been lost to bit-rot or in the mists of time. What does the "mx" stand for?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,000 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FiddlersElbow

As far as I know, it doesn't stand for anything. It's like most of the initials you see tacked onto car model names -- though a few like GT are initials -- or for that matter the names themselves. I drive an Elantra - meaningless (in English at least, Korean?), but cool sounding. 

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 15
(4,978 Views)

I can't cite a source... But I did hear this somewhere from an unreliable source (And its as good a story to explain as any publiclly offered)

f(x)= function

m(x)= Multifunction (By extention of the previous accepted definition)

Parentheseis' were removed for marketing and branding.

DAQmx= Data AQuisition multifunction  The "XYZmx" Drivers provide multifunctional APIs. 

This is supported by the poloymorphisism of the basic methods (Reads, Writes, etc...) of DAQmx and ELVISmx .....

Spoiler
Now where is 856x-mx?  (Sorry for the dig on NI 865x Mr. J. P.  It is a pet peeve)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 15
(4,971 Views)

Good answer! But it got me thinking (always a dangerous thing this late at night) but I wonder if NI was introducing the product today they would call it iDAQ? Hmmm....

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 15
(4,954 Views)

I seem to recall something like that from way back, but couldn't pull the details to mind.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,917 Views)

They missed a couple of recent opportunities - the MyDAQ and MyRIO could have been iDAQ and iRIO, but then they would have had to have shiny colors for the cases...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,915 Views)

I think NI stays away from iAnything on purpose. Aside from potential court cases with Apple, if you happen to come up with a really cool name, the whole iWhatever is an idea that is not only not anymore cool, but in fact soooooo from yesterday. Smiley Very Happy

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,880 Views)

<Tounge in cheek mode = TRUE>

I relabled my iToilet the iPood

Spoiler
The interface was for crap.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,867 Views)

I think I heard someone say it stands for "measurement experience". Don't take that as fact though

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,844 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

I can't cite a source... But I did hear this somewhere from an unreliable source (And its as good a story to explain as any publiclly offered)

f(x)= function

m(x)= Multifunction (By extention of the previous accepted definition)

Parentheseis' were removed for marketing and branding.

DAQmx= Data AQuisition multifunction  The "XYZmx" Drivers provide multifunctional APIs. 

This is supported by the poloymorphisism of the basic methods (Reads, Writes, etc...) of DAQmx and ELVISmx .....

Spoiler
Now where is 856x-mx?  (Sorry for the dig on NI 865x Mr. J. P.  It is a pet peeve)

Let's explore this once more:

LabVIEW 7.0 offered DAQmx, the DAQ assistant ... Certain MAX upgrades...etc...

LabVIEW 7.1 was revolutionary for allowing the creation of "Polymorphic.vi's" and Express.vi's" by the common user base.   Both were necessary for DAQmx.

Kudos to the NI R&D members responsible.

It was a long time ago then but, still ................Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,835 Views)