From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquisition of data serial

Hello,

I would like an information about LabView.

I need to monitore a serial line through the C-rio and to convert this digital sign in a binary number or hexadecimal.

To convert the digital sign for binario, it's necessary store the frames in a vector (the message can be from 8 to 572 bits).

The problem is to store in the vector the bytes (the acquisition use a boolean signal).
- How can I make this?
- Do you know some VI to do this convertion?

Already thanking!

FabianoF.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,709 Views)
Fabiano,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try an answer :
you need to convert a series of bytes received as a string on your serial port. There is a string to byte array function to do this conversion, as shown in the attached png.

Message Edited by chilly charly on 06-12-2005 05:19 PM

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,694 Views)
Hello,

I understood your point but that is not exactly what I need. First, I need to get a group of boolean data and store them in an array. The problem is that I´m working with boolean data , not string data.

Thanks for your help,
FabianoF
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,675 Views)
The LV serial tools always return an alphanumeric string.

So, do you mean that you are receiving a string composed of a series of 0 and 1 chars ?
or a string composed of hexadecimal bytes (that could be read either as ASCII chars, or as numeric bytes...) ?

Could you post an example of the received data ? and of the way you want the result displayed ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,660 Views)
Hello,

The received data are inicially in hi-level, when the signal goes to low level, I consider that transition my "start bit" of the message. The message is composed of 8 bits, my problem is how can I store these bits
in an array. After acquire 8 messages, I´ll have to store them in another array. I´m sending you a picture
of what I´m trying to do.

Thanks again.

FabianoF.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,649 Views)
Still no sure if I'm helping you or not !
You have to use a shift register, as in the attached simulation example, to store the bit values read at each loop iteration.
Play with the boolean button for a while (data are collected at 2 Hz) and see how it works.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,634 Views)
I´m sorry, but what simulation? I guess you didn´t attached the example.
Thanks.

FabianoF.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,633 Views)
Hoops !
That was a busy day ! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,630 Views)