cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing the Osi Soft PI Api Interface

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

does anyone have any experience accessing the Osi Soft PI API Interface with LabVIEW.

I was trying to use a .dll, but had problems getting connected.The ODBC Interface isn't available. So I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,517 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BigBadWolf

Hi,

just recently I have talked to a customer who has used an OPC interface to Osi Soft. Looks like, there is an OPC client implemented.

The Shared Variable Engine in LabVIEW supports an OPC server, so any data you write to a shared variable in data is published by the OPC server interface and can be accessed by OPC clients.

I don't know, if this addresses exactly your needs, but as much as I know, the customer was successful with this approach.

Kind regards,

Jochen Klier

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,501 Views)

Hi,

I am trying to achieve the same with LabVIEW 8.5. OSI soft's PI OPC client will be accessing the LabVIEW where LabVIEW will be acting as OPC server. I want to source few variables to PI OPC client from LabVIEW. As shared variable Engine method is viable, are there any other requirements to achieve this? or just making the variables that I wanted to be sourced as shared will do the job? I hope I don't need NI OPC server or DSC module etc..?

Can you please feed me some inputs here? Thanking you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,259 Views)

Hi,

you don't need to install anything but LabVIEW or the LabVIEW runtime engine to publish shared variables via OPC.

Please refer to this link for more information.

The document mentions ServerExplorer or QuickClient as test clients for the OPC communication. Please note, that these tools are just mentioned as a method for testing the OPC communication, but you don't need to install these tools in order to make the OPC communication work with your OPC client.

Regards,

Jochen

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,246 Views)