From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing an Intel processor's memory mapped I/O

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I understand that the old "in port.vi" and "out port.vi" haven't been supported for a while. When I run my old vi which uses "in port.vi" and "out port.vi" to access the Intel processor's memory mapped I/O, I get a -4850 error and the knowledge base suggest I use NI-VISA.

Error -4850 in LabVIEW Using Port Out or Port In - NI

I've searched for examples and descriptions on how to use NI-VISA to accomplish this unsuccessfully. Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Waldo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,061 Views)

Hi Waldo,

I guess it's more a Windows security issue than a LabVIEW issue…

Since Windows Vista "user priviledge" programs are not allowed to directly access specific memory areas, like it was allowed for InPort/OutPort on old WinXP systems. This is only allowed for driver software running in the "kernel context" after successful installation (using signed certificates).

So the question is: why do you need this feature on a modern Windows with a (hopefully) modern LabVIEW version?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,032 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Yes I'm running LV2020 on a Win10(32-bit) machine which has embedded digital I/O and analog to digital converters. We are transitioning away from this embedded technology but I'm hoping to maintain my LV application's compatibility between this old tech and the new. The boards are Versalogic EBX38.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,024 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Waldo

Hi Waldo,

unfortunately Versalogic only allows to download manuals after registration.

But hey: they offer Win10 compatible "VersaAPI"!

So I guess Versalogic already explored a way to provide IO access for their board even from Win10 user-priviledge programs. All you need to do is to follow their documentation and use their APIs…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,015 Views)

Excellent!

Thanks GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,011 Views)