From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing a labview built dll in linux

I have managed to send values and get results by compiling my VI to a dll and using C# code. Does anyone know if this same functionality is available/replicable using LabVIEW for Linux and the language (e.g python) that can make this possible on an Ubuntu platform for example. Am using LabVIEW 2011. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,859 Views)

LabVIEW for Linux supports creating shared libraries as far as I know. https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/building_a_dll/

However that is not the same as a .Net assembly at all, but a C type shared library (DLL). You mention you access the LabVIEW "DLL" through C#, and depending on how you do that it would be not similar to what you can do on Linux. If you use the LabVIEW DLL as .Net assembly (LabVIEW supports creating such assemblies on Windows) then there is no equivalent possibility on Linux. If you however access the LabVIEW DLL through C# Platform Invoke, then you can create a similar shared library under LabVIEW for Linux and use Python ctypes functionality, which is the equivalent in Python for the .Net Platform Invoke interface, albeit not exactly with the same phylosophy.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,838 Views)