From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing USB Port on PDA

Hi,

Has anybody tried to access USB Port on a PDA running Palm OS using LabVIEW PDA Module ?.

Thanks
J.A.C
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,597 Views)

Hi J.A.C,

I cannot think of a Palm PDA with a built-in USB port but then, I may be wrong. Are you may be talking about a custom USB connector that connects to your device via serial cable? If that is the case then you are looking at Serial and not USB communication.   Please clarify.

Regards,

Ankita

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,585 Views)

Hi Ankita,

Thanks for your interest.

Previously PDA used to come with serial ports. But, now-a-days most PDA's come with USB Port.  There is no serial port in them.

My PDA has Palm OS. LabVIEW PDA module provides serial VIs to communicate with serial port. But since now, there are no serial ports, i cannot interface my USB device to the PDA. I would like access USB port on PDA running Palm OS. As far as  i know, there is no direct USB support in the LabVIEW PDA.

So my question is how can i access USB port (indirectly/using external code/anyway) on PDA running palm OS using LabVIEW PDA module.

Hope i am understood.

Thanks.

J.A.C

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,575 Views)

Hi J.A.C,

I have a Palm m130 pocket PC.  I was hoping to experiment LV with it, but could not interface to it either...

it basically collects dust since all it is useful for is a phone list (which is already in my cell phone). 

😞

I hope someone can provide some info, too...  and revive the old PC  (it does have the color screen)  😉

Message 4 of 9
(4,566 Views)

Hi Joe,

Sure, you could use your Palm m130. Though now-a-days with advent of modern day cell phones, PDA's are getting obsolete. However no one can deny their use in data collection and industrial application.

You need to have LabVIEW PDA module (similar to your RT module) installed on your PC to access your PDA from LabVIEW.  

I am also a beginner with LabVIEW PDA and am facing lot of difficulties doing application development in LabVIEW PDA. There are few contraints on usage of Front panel objects and no direct support for USB. This make it difficult to use it for large application development on PDA. However i hope to work my way out.

Good Luck !

J.A.C

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,550 Views)

hi , i am using palm m 130 . Can u Please tell it is compatable for serial communication using Labview Pda?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,103 Views)
What version of LabVIEW are you using?
Mehak D.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,073 Views)
hi , i am using the Labview 8.0.1.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,052 Views)
Hi Nag123,

It will depend on the operating system of your m130.  LV 8.0.1 will support Palm OS 4.0 and later, Pocket PC 2003 and Windows Mobile 5.0.  Check out this Knowledgebase for more information on LVPDA and compatable operating systems.  The device doesn't matter, it is the operating system that has to be supported.  Thanks and have a great day.   
Stephen S.
National Instruments
1 Test is worth 1000 expert opinions
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,018 Views)