LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access .dll within LabVIEW 8.6

vmuro wrote:

"A more promising way would be to access the DLL through the Call Library Node IF AND ONLY IF you can get at the DLL interface documentation"

This was my first attempt. The native software was created using LabVIEW, but unfortunately the manufacturer/developer does not want to provide this code. Then, I though since it was created in LV, maybe I could reverse engineer it or recreate it. It turns out that it is more complex than I imagined. Thanks for all the help...

Reverse Engineering a LabVIEW executable (if you do not include the diagram, as will happen if you choose to have a debuggable executable), while not completely impossible is in fact a lot more troublesome than reverse engineering the DLL for instance by disassembling it.

Getting any information about the Call Interface to a DLL out of a LabVIEW executable is an exercise in vain. The information is simply not there anymore other than in the direct platform dependant assemply instructions themselves and those are embedded in the executable in a LabVIEW specific way only a few NI wizards have any idea about how to identify. Disassembling the DLL itself is much more easy although far from being simple.

It would seem to me like you are stuck between a wall and a hard place here. Without some support from the manufacturer of the device either providing you the USB protocol specification (which will typically be extremely hard to get at and also be a rather painful experience to implement on top of NI-VISA but even more so as system device driver (auch!)) or the calling interface of the used DLL, you will be likely limited to using the device with the provided application.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(288 Views)