LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Scope of Library

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a reason why I can't define the access scope of a library until a place it within a virtual folder? All I want to do is make all these libraries private just as they are now, but instead I either have to put them into a virtual folder (which I don't want to do because I'm particular about my file structure) or make each of the individual members of the library private (which could get annoying if any one of these ever get very large).

FireFist-Redhawk_0-1597752984479.png

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,919 Views)

What version of LabVIEW are you using?  I am almost certain I recently did what you are asking in 2019 SP1, except it might have been a class instead of a library.

EDIT: I managed to find the project I was thinking about.  I have 3 classes at the top level of a library all set to private.  No virtual folder needed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,893 Views)

This is 2017.

Redhawk

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,885 Views)

I guess I'm content with this. Still wish I could just privately scope them without encasing them all in a wrapper library...

FireFist-Redhawk_0-1597776049182.png

Redhawk

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,834 Views)

@FireFist-Redhawk wrote:

I guess I'm content with this. Still wish I could just privately scope them without encasing them all in a wrapper library...

I am confused by what you want now.  If the libraries were not inside of another library (or class) and the entire library was private, it would be useless because nobody could access it.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,817 Views)

Each of those is its own standalone application (except Shared.lvlib), and I want to be sure that there were no dependencies of application A that exist in application B's library. Any code that application A uses should either be in "application A.lvlib" or "Shared.lvlib" and if that's not the case, I want a broken run arrow so I know something's up.

I realized right after doing it that my last picture definitely does not achieve this, as privately scoping those libraries just means that their contents can only be used in "ATE Support Package.lvlib", not that each library is independent of every other library (again, except Shared.lvlib).

So now I'm back to this. I think I just thought about it too much and confused myself with privately scoped libraries vs. virtual folders vs. classes vs. individual members of each of those things.

FireFist-Redhawk_0-1597778907352.png

Redhawk

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,810 Views)

Just to be clear, so based on your previous image of a Project Explorer, there's no way for anything outside of a library to call it, and presumably things like "Asset Inventory Manager.vi" is always intended to be a top-level VI (as is "ATE Harness Guide.vi", etc)?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,769 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FireFist-Redhawk

Exactly right, each library contains a top level app and different supporting files for only that app, again with the exception of Shared.lvlib which is where I'm going to put files that more than one app uses. The way this project has been going, I could easily see there being 30 different apps in a few years so I'm trying to get this proper structure now as a way of future proofing.

I did do one more thing and made Documentation folders for each library and put the app icons in those folders. Looks even cleaner now. Including a pic of the build specs because why not.

FireFist-Redhawk_0-1597837602112.png

FireFist-Redhawk_1-1597837658620.png

Redhawk

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,752 Views)

@FireFist-Redhawk wrote:

FireFist-Redhawk_0-1597837602112.png

FireFist-Redhawk_1-1597837658620.png

What you are showing here is exactly what I do except I tend to leave the top level VI as public.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,746 Views)

It's oddly comforting/satisfying that I arrived at the same project hierarchy as a Knight 😆

Redhawk

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,742 Views)