LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Academic licence and SSP

Solved!
Go to solution

Is academic licence including SSP standard service program or not? I would like to install LV2015 SP1, but I don't know if I am allowed to do that. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,980 Views)

It does. I have Academic licence and also Research Institute licence at my institute.

Anyway, you can always ask your local IT department and the local NI representatives to clarify any point of your licence.

http://www.ni.com/company/worldwide-offices/

Message 2 of 11
(3,970 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gnappo

SSP ( see: http://www.ni.com/services/software_benefits.htm) is a service that NI gives with individual license while the academic site license ( for more information see: http://us.ni.com/academic/ ) is an agreement which includes lots of licenses. The first is not included in the second. However some services are common among the two.

You can find the software included in NI Academic Site License here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/8115/en/

If you have an active license with an active serial number, ther are no problems in updating your LabVIEW version to the 2015 SP1

Message 3 of 11
(3,902 Views)

@esgro wrote:

If you have an active license with an active serial number, ther are no problems in updating your LabVIEW version to the 2015 SP1

While I agree completely, I venture to guess that less than 10% of Academic users install the SP1 update if they've already installed the Fall Release Version.  At our University, I believe I'm the only one who regularly does this (and I sometimes question the wisdom of doing this, myself ...).

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 11
(3,897 Views)
Thank you to all of you. When I install Labview I just download it from NI site, the evaluation version, and then I activate it. I don't use the dvd. I have recently discovered that now bundles of software are available. I really don't like bundles. I prefer to install only what I need.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,889 Views)

Suit yourself.  The Academic package now comes as a single USB disk image, with a single Setup routine that lets you pick and choose exactly which packages and options you want to install.  I think the latest (2015 SP1) configuration default installation is LabVIEW 2015 English and VIPM 2014 only, with everything else (include Device Drivers) "options".  This sure beats shuffling DVDs in and out.  I expect, however, that this monster will not be offered for download -- it would take a very long time (maybe days).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,857 Views)

@gnappo wrote:
 I really don't like bundles. I prefer to install only what I need.

My highly preferred way is to download the web based platform installer. It is a small download and then you select exactly what you want from the entire NI software catalog. After that, all needed parts are downloaded and installed without much further interaction. Only the parts that you need are ever downloaded.

Try it!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,854 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

This sure beats shuffling DVDs in and out.  I expect, however, that this monster will not be offered for download -- it would take a very long time (maybe days).

The web based installer is basically the same as the USB, except that everything is pulled from the cloud. Nothing to misplace. 😄

The size of the download is determined by the product selection and does include everything, e.g. even the xilinx tools and RIO drivers, etc.

Note that there are several platform installers while really only one is needed. The productrs are the same, what you can activate with your license is what counts.

There is e.g.:

Web-Based Installer Academic Site License Spring 2015

The various Suites and LabVIEW flavors

The web based platform bundles

As I said elsewhere, all they should really offer is exacly one web based installer and let the user select certain suites or combinations at install time. We should even have cloud based configurations on the NI profile where we can pick on of  our personalized selections whenever we install from scratch on a new computer, for example.

Since the web search here is hit and miss, it is likely that most will find a page for the wrong web based installer or for an older version. Having a single web based installer would reduce the donwload page to a single entry, removing all confusion. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,850 Views)
Could you please say to me the exact link to the page where I can find the web based platform installer? Unfortunately, I find the NI web site very confusing, an highly entropic web site I would say.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,831 Views)

What happens if you click on my third link?

Do you have SSP?

Message 10 of 11
(3,815 Views)