LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A general thank you from a newbie.

@PaulG. wrote:

You may find, as many of us have that the moment you post a question immediately you will get another idea and figure it out on your own before someone else does. I call it the "never mind!" effect. Smiley Very Happy

That's why Intaris has his Rubber Duck to talk to before asking questions here Smiley Wink

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 11 of 16
(713 Views)

indeed , google rubber duck debugging.

it has helped me a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(676 Views)

Hi all,

I would like to reiterate what RedneckNerd has said, thank you all for your help over the past while.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(612 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

@RedneckNerd wrote:

I am a new Labview user.  While I have a good idea of what Labview is capable of, I don't yet posses the skills to use much of it. 

You'd perhaps be surprised how quickly you can get to being a real contributor on the forum.

Don't be afraid to post answers.  Sometimes making small mistakes in answering (and being hopefully politely corrected) can do wonders for your learning experience.  We don't bite, and users who bring a bit of common sense with them tend to get support from the more venerable memberd of the community.

Even after a couple of years here, I still learn more than I teach, but thankfully the ratio is somewhat more favorable.  😉

Don't be afraid to just run down the list of topics and read through anything that sounds interesting, either.  Nuggets are routinely mined that way.  Plus, don't be afraid to ask (related) questions on topics that aren't even yours.  Everyone benefits from the explanations, not just you.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(604 Views)

And as an aside, even though I'm more of a veteran here, I'm still continuously learning new stuff and certainly don't know it all.

Most experienced users are willing to admit they have gaps in their knowledge (If you don't admit you don't know something, you'll never learn).  If you're sure you're correct on something, don't ever let someone's "status" stop you from putting your point across.

I remember clearly the first moment I contradicted a "big player" in the forum.  I was a nervous wreck until it was acknowledged that I was right.  It turned out to be a kind of right of passage for me.  Confirmation that I had truly learned something and could now start to contribute.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(590 Views)

Well,

There is a reason I check the "Most Kudosed" posts now and then.  It is certainly pleasant to find a gem I missed.

About two days before this threads previous latest post I managed to reach my goal of making it into the top ten Profiles posting all time.  I have no illusions about physical persons with NFMPD, or NI Forums multiple profile disorder.  I've suffered from Virtual Scitzophenia myself at one time or another and, I do not count Branch-Support!

I interview often for LabVIEW developer positions.  Once, I was asked about how my forum participation could effect my job performance.  The HM was uncertain about my productivity for the contract and my forum participation. 

I out-coded their best, out performed their most experienced vets, found and fixed their most obscure problems (bugs)  and was encouraged to "Just wander by the others and ask questions now and then"  The Group productivity went nuts on the chart!

Take a guess what I told that HM during the interview....  "I've gotten every minute back that I invest on the forums with interest compounded!"

If you want to get good at something you need two things:

• An enjoyment for doing that thing.  (Or you will never be willing to learn)
  • A community involvement with that thing (Or you have to learn from your own mistakes--- that takes a lot of time!)

You can learn more here by accident than from most places by intention!  I have found it freakish how often I have learned something here while researching other posts only to need that same technique the next week.  Then add up the 3 other bits I learned doing the research that had no bearing on the original post but took me down the wrong path of investigation for that use case.

If you want to be good at something- work with someone better at it than you!  (Why do you think "Golf-Pros" get paid?) There are thousands of posters here that know something I do not know.  And I enjoy it.- Someday I might just get good at this "LabVIEW Thingy"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 16 of 16
(542 Views)