From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A general thank you from a newbie.

I am a new Labview user.  While I have a good idea of what Labview is capable of, I don't yet posses the skills to use much of it. 

I haven't even made it through the tutorials yet, but have to build a control panel for a sizable airflow test stand.

And then more complicated stuff after that.

I just wanted to thank the user base on the board for all the examples and answers to questions I have found through searching.

Every time I have just about given up searching, and get ready to post a question, I have found the answer here.

Message 1 of 16
(3,607 Views)

I (and everyone else here, I'm sure) would like to thank you for doing the searching. There are always some who conveniently skip that step (or search but ignore the results and post anyway), and those of you (and me, for that matter) who are diligent about this save the rest from a lot of extra work.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
Message 2 of 16
(3,561 Views)

@RedneckNerd wrote:

I am a new Labview user.  While I have a good idea of what Labview is capable of, I don't yet posses the skills to use much of it. 

You'd perhaps be surprised how quickly you can get to being a real contributor on the forum.

Don't be afraid to post answers.  Sometimes making small mistakes in answering (and being hopefully politely corrected) can do wonders for your learning experience.  We don't bite, and users who bring a bit of common sense with them tend to get support from the more venerable memberd of the community.

Message 3 of 16
(3,493 Views)

Intaris wrote:We don't bite,

Well, most of us don't...

But seriously, my LabVIEW skills have grown leaps and bounds simply by trying to solve other people's problems.  Do be afraid to try.  I guarantee you'll learn something a large percentage of the time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 16
(3,463 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

But seriously, my LabVIEW skills have grown leaps and bounds simply by trying to solve other people's problems.  Do be afraid to try.  I guarantee you'll learn something a large percentage of the time.

I think you mean "Don't be afraid to try." That's the problem with Spell Check. What we really need is Meaning Check.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,452 Views)

@camerond wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

I think you mean "Don't be afraid to try." That's the problem with Spell Check. What we really need is Meaning Check.

Cameron

Oops.  That's what happens when my brain goes faster than my fingers.

DON'T be afraid to try!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,448 Views)

That's a really nice message to read.

You know, it's been a long time since I don't try to help people here. My workplace is kind of strange lately. Well, let's say that now I'm slightly experienced with LabVIEW and most of the good decisions I made and good suggestions I gave while working with projects that involved LabVIEW last year, just happened because of what I learned here.

The only course that I took was "LabVIEW Core 1" almost 2 years ago, when I was 17. Last september, I had the opportunity to take the CLAD test and passed. I know, CLAD is no big deal, but I just got that because of the interest that I had for LabVIEW, which was upgraded thanks to the high-quality content that the community served me.

You should have no fear to post an answer. For instance, if you read a problem, download a VI and try to fix it, there's one thing that always will happen: even if you don't know how to solve the whole problem, you will end up learning something. Maybe just a bit of something. But, let's use a superficial "metaphore": 8 bits make a byte. And from bit to bit, suddenly you're kind of smart and experienced.

Now I'm almost not working with LabVIEW. My current job just ended up into a comfort zone, which I hate, because this makes me feel kind of incapable of changing things. It's kind of sad to see that your country lacks of technology industries to give you opportunities to work. And this is even more hard if you don't have a deegre (I'm currently a freshman in computer science).

Well, dear Redneck Nerd, who am I to say something, but I'm really sure that you will be really happy learning here, and I know that there are high-quality and experienced programmers that are really compromised with users, even if they don't win a single penny doing this. 

Try to help people. I did that. Sometimes I was so wrong that I'm kind of ashamed to even read that old posts. 

I also would like to thank everyone. Maybe in the next few months I will be forced to leave LabVIEW behind for a while, for a better purpose, though. 

And thank you if you took the time to read this. It's been kind of rough lately.

As english isn't my native language, I apologize in advance for possible english mistakes.

Regards,

Mondoni
Message 7 of 16
(3,433 Views)

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

I was once a solidworks novice and thanks to the forums, help files, youtube videos and one class I am now a fairly competent user.

I'm sure I'll get there with labview also.

I very much believe in helping others by answering or at least trying to answer questions when I can.

One thing I have noticed in this community is the helpful nature.  Even before I was an actual labview user and was looking over a coworkers shoulders.

As I live by spell check to correct my fat finger typing style I would also like a "Meaning Checker". 

Interestingly enough I didn't notice that it was worded wrong.  I read it as "DON'T be afraid to try!"

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,406 Views)

@RedneckNerd wrote:

Interestingly enough I didn't notice that it was worded wrong.  I read it as "DON'T be afraid to try!"

That speaks for itself.  Freud would have a clear opinion on that.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,373 Views)

You may find, as many of us have that the moment you post a question immediately you will get another idea and figure it out on your own before someone else does. I call it the "never mind!" effect. Smiley Very Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 10 of 16
(3,341 Views)