LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bug caused by turning debugging off...

@altenbach wrote:

Yes, parsing the format at run time is probably expensive, but if the error is actually used to make a decision based on the validity of the format string, it cannot be tossed out. I am all for performance, but this primitive can only be eliminated if none of the outputs go anywhere.

Exactly the issue.

But this seems to be different from those other examples shared above or I described.

Before I drift off to find an more general solution, is there a fundamental difference between a property/invoke node and operators that use the Error Cluster?

One difference that comes to mind is the property/invoke nodes have a right click option "Ignore Error inside node".

Spoiler

Why do I think this will develop into a "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no measurement device there to detect it, did it make noise?" question.

If a function does not run, can it return an error?

Still making up my mind...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,370 Views)

Ben wrote: 

Spoiler

Is the argument that the LabVIEW compiler is removing the function as dead code or that the function will no-op if the output is not wired and that is expected? I'm not taking a stance either way I just think that they are different enough to be discussed separately.

Spoiler
The fastest way to get the correct answer on the forums is to first give the incorrect answer. Maybe if we all start speaking in definites we can get the right person to chime in Smiley Wink

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,365 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Yes, parsing the format at run time is probably expensive, but if the error is actually used to make a decision based on the validity of the format string, it cannot be tossed out. I am all for performance, but this primitive can only be eliminated if none of the outputs go anywhere.

Exactly the issue.

But this seems to be different from those other examples shared above or I described.

Before I drift off to find an more general solution, is there a fundamental difference between a property/invoke node and operators that use the Error Cluster?

One difference that comes to mind is the property/invoke nodes have a right click option "Ignore Error inside node".

Spoiler

Why do I think this will develop into a "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no measurement device there to detect it, did it make noise?" question.

Still making up my mind...

Ben

Ben,

Read the help on "Ignore Error inside Node".  That option still outputs the First Error on the error chain!  It allows the P-node to try to set/get properties below the property that errored in the node.  NOT analogous

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,305 Views)