LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A breakpoint problem (step into and step over makes differences)

Hi All, I have a subvi to implement read data and return it to display on front panel. Right now it is not working well on display. But when I set the breakpoint to debug, I found the step into the sub vi can make everything work, but if step over this block, it will be the same as the normal operation. Could anyone advise why this differences happend? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,221 Views)

I can't give you an explanation, without seeing the whole picture "in context". try posting your vi and we can have a better look at it as a "whole"...Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(3,213 Views)

Hi Apok, here is the "whole" one. Thank you!breakpoint2.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,209 Views)

@bhl3302 wrote:

Hi Apok, here is the "whole" one. Thank you!breakpoint2.PNG

When run at normal speed the sub-Vi may be returning an error. Since you are not using a SR for the error, subsequent iterations may be stepping on the error code.

If that guess does not exaplin it, show us the sub-VI.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(3,206 Views)

Hi Ben, are you talking about adding a SR like this? It still cannot work if this is what you are saying. If not, could you advise how to do?

breakpoint3.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(3,203 Views)

That is the shift register Ben was referring to.  But the question was whether or not an error was being generated.  The shift register is needed in order to preserve the error.

If there is no error, post the actual subVI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 21
(3,201 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

... Ben was referring to....

Kudoes to you cross for doing a great job of reading my mind and filling in the gaps.

You are a good little dinosaur. Smiley Wink
Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,197 Views)

Dinosaur?  I'm not that old.  Oh, you may be referring to my avatar. It is actually The Cheat.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,187 Views)

Hi All, I run it again and did not find the error. Attached is the sub vi. You guys are correct, it seems like the running of this subvi was not completed sometimes. When it steps out, the runnng has not been completed yet. Please advise what should I revise! Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(3,160 Views)

It's hard to tell, but you might have a race condition.  Where is the VISA Resouce coming out of inside of the Diagram Disable Structure?  If it is connected to the property node, then you have a race condition.  Please attach a snippet or the actual VI to make debugging a little easier.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,155 Views)