LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A TDM file can't be opened

Hi everyone,

I don’t know why an error file is generated when I store data (in the TDM format) after a period of time. The worst part is that after this error appears, I neither open nor write in my TDM file. I’ve tried to open it in the Data Viewer.vi (which shows the channel groups and the channels of a TDM file) but it hasn’t worked. I attached the TDM and the error files.

Thanks in advance.

JC

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,453 Views)
I received a similar error code when the TDM file header became corrupted.  In my case, there had been an accidental deletion.  The IT group restored the file but it was corrupt.  We were unable to recover the data.

Jim West
Summitek Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,429 Views)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for reply. It means that I definitely lost my data, that's too bad. At least, I would like to know why my TDM is corrupted or which generates it in order to avoid that. Do you have any clue when you saw my error file?

JC

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,425 Views)
JC,

I opened your file with a program I wrote to examine files without knowing anything about them. The headers seem to be there but all the data is blank: (\s\s\s\s\s\s\n) repeated thousands of times. I have never looked at a valid TDM File so I cannot be certain. Are your sure your program actaully wrote data to the file?

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,421 Views)
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for reply. My program wrote data in the TDM file before the error appears. After that, it could never write in the TDM file. When I tried to open this TDM file in the Data Viewer.vi, a -2558 error appeared in the Open Storage ( LabVIEW cannot open the data storage file). Do you know why this error could appear? 

This TDM file has 3 channels gropus and each of them has 40 channels approximatedly. If you want more information about this problem, please let me know.

Thanks so much in advance

JC
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,417 Views)
JC,

I can't help with that. I have not used the TDM files, so I really don't know much about them. The first ~30000 bytes of your TDM file look like XML. I don't know how sensitive the reader is to corruption in the file.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,412 Views)

-2558 usually occurs because you didn't close the file properly on a prior access.

Jim West

Summitek Isntruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,409 Views)

Thanks my friends for all your help, I will try to figure this problem out.

JC

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,406 Views)
What happened here is that the process of saving was disturbed. So it did not finish saving of the file.
Because XML is only valid if the last byte is written the file can no longer be read if the writing wasn't finished.

I have restored the file as good as possible and attached it to the answer. All bulk data should be O.K. but
the name of the channels can not be restored.

Some assumtions:
If the write fails this points me to an memory or disk space problem.
Becasue the file contains a lot of whitespaces and linefeeds this points to an version of the tdm writer that might cause
growing files when attaching changes to an existing file. I haven't seen this bug causing real problems beside the
growing of the file. In newer versions of the TDM writer the spaces will no longer be added and the writer will consume
less memory.
But I am really not sure what happened here.
Could you please post the LabVIEW version (if possible the USI version),  the operating system and the amount of
memory of you system to help us figuring out what happened.

Greetings
Andreas Krantz
(National Instruments)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,394 Views)

Hi Andreas,

Thanks so much for helping me to restore my TDM file and trying to find the problem.

I made my program in LabVIEW 8.2.1 and the  Appilcation (EXE) is made in this version; however the installer was made in LabVIEW 8.2. In LabVIEW 8.2.1, the NI USI version is 1.4.1 (I looked it in the Installer Properties\Category\Additional Installers\National Instruments installers to include).  In LabVIEW 8.2, the NI USI version is 1.3.02695 (I looked it in the folder National Instruments\Shared\Product Cache).

On the other hand, the application and the installer are installed in a computer with the following characteristics:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Service pack 4

Processor: Intel Pentium 4   2.8GHz

Disk Space: 40Gbytes   available:22Gbytes

256MBytes of RAM

As additional information, I attach the performance of this computer. (there is sometimes 100% of CPU usage. It is because the database stores data every minute and at that moment uses all the CPU usage but it's a little time until the program finishes storing the data)

Thanks again for your valuable help  and please let me know if you need more information about this problem.

My regards,

JC

Note: I have another TDM file corrupted, so would you mind telling me how I could restore it?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,387 Views)