From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A 2nd counter on a USB6008 using DIO's?

hi,

Quick question is it possible to built code in Labview, that would act as a second counter, using digital I/O's?

I want to count the number of pulses for two difference pulse trains, and the use the number of pulses to determine the position of the 2 stepper motors?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,228 Views)

Peter,

You can certainly count pulses from a digital input line in software.  However, the DI lines on the USB6008 are software timed and have a fairly low update rate.  Without looking it up, I think the rate is ~100 Hz.  If your pulses can ever occur much faster that, you will miss pulses and lose track of your position.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,224 Views)

Lynn,

the slowest pulse train is 1.4ms? is this too fast for using the digital i/o? And if not where could i find an example of the code?

Cheers

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,219 Views)

Lynn,

Its approx 700Hz, not good so?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,213 Views)

Peter,

1/1.4 ms = 714 Hz.  This is much faster than the software timed DI can manage.  You would lose too many pulses for this to be useful.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,208 Views)