LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9213 not returning actual temperatur values

Hello,

I am using the NI USB 9162 carrier with a NI 9213. I need to read the temperature of some J type thermocouples and graph them for a period of 4 hours. After I start MAX I use Labview Signal Express. The step setup seems easy enough, but the values the thermocouple are returning seem off. I start it and it goes to about 1.376k in Celsius or 2. something in fahrenheit. I have applied heat with a hot air gun and let the thermocoule sit in ice, but it constantly shows the same value. Even when I try to calibrate it the numbers don't vary much.

I have a thernoneter with me that I connected the thermocouple to and it reads all the changes in temperature. Please help, I have tried everyhting I can think of.

I am brainstorming other options, like misplaced thermocouple connections inside the 9213 module, or my USB cable is too long to send a proper signal, it is only 6 feet though.

Please let me know if anyone can think of anything.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,212 Views)

Hi ceskyhlas,

It sounds like you may have an open thermocouple across your input.  Each channel has an open thermocouple detection (OTD) circuit, which consists of a current source between the TC+ and TC– terminals. If an open thermocouple is connected to the channel, the current source forces a full-scale voltage across the terminals.

Here are a few suggestions to help narrow in on the problem.

1. Perform a self test on the 9213 in MAX and ensure it passes.

2. Use test panels in MAX to test your 9213 to see if you can read a voltage level on your thermocouple.  At 25 degrees C you should get a voltage of 1.277 mV on a J type thermocouple.

3. See if you can independently measure a voltage on your thermocouple using a DMM.

4. Ensure that your leads on your thermocouple are connected properly- often times the red wire on the thermocouple is the (-) terminal.

5. Do you see the same readings on different channels?

Please let me know if you run into any problems after trying the above troubleshooting steps.

Thanks!

Brandon G

National Instruments
Precision DC Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,194 Views)