LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8753ES - Saving Measurment Results to Computer

Hello,

I am currently working with an Agilent 8753ES s-parameter network analyzer. I just want to know if I can use LabView to receive/save the measurement results (.csv - file) via GPIB-Adapter to my computer.

I don`t want to use the 3.5-inch floppy disk to transport the measurement results to the computer like it is described in the User`s Guide.

...Is this possible?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,714 Views)

The driver does not have any built-in file write functions but you can use the functions on the File I/O palette to save in whatever format you choose.

Message 2 of 14
(5,698 Views)
Thank you for your answer.
I hope I have understood it correctly. You say that it is possible to receive and save the measurement results of the Agilent 8753ES-network analyzer by using LabView and the GPIB-Adapter.
Because in the User`s Guide the GPIB interface is used only for printing and plotting data files and receiving and saving instrument states but not measurement results...
that`s why I am a little bit concerned.

Kind regards.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,682 Views)

We do it all the time.  Look in the 8753ES Programming Guide (http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/08753-90475.pdf).  You can pull back trace data, Start, Stop freqs., Marker data.  You can also set any parameters you need.

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,669 Views)
Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,666 Views)

(Doug finishes his morning coffee, re-reads the threads and slowly backs away from his first reply....)

oh.  wait a minute....

I'm not sure I fully understood your question.  Choose one:

1.) I want to save my data by pressing a few buttons on the analyzer and have it save to a location other than the floppy.  Basically, I just want to change the filepath...

- or -

2.) I want to save my data by pressing a button on my computer (which is connected to the analyzer via GPIB) and have the computer save the data.

If you chose 1, then you may be out of luck.  The analyzer won't Push the data out the GPIB.  If you chose 2, then it's certainly doable.  The pc can Pull data from the analyzer and save it in any format you want. 

It kind of depends on your application.  If you're just gathering data every couple of weeks and you don't like the idea of a floppy, you may be better off just dealing with the floppy and saving your money.  If you're gathering data every day or you're in a Production environment, then it's definitely better to go the Labview/GPIB route to gather data.

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,660 Views)
OPTION 2) ;-)...nice!!!!!

Thank you very much and enjoy your second morning coffee!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,651 Views)

@doug wrote:

We do it all the time.  Look in the 8753ES Programming Guide (http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/08753-90475.pdf).  You can pull back trace data, Start, Stop freqs., Marker data.  You can also set any parameters you need.

Doug

That's my bible.  🙂

Once you read all the possibilities open to you through GPIB, you'll never go back to manual mode again.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,639 Views)

I know this is an old post and my question might be completely idiotic BUT I'm getting a little desperate at this point. Since you all seem like this is easy peasy for you guys and I've been struggling to figure out even what question to ask for weeks... Here goes nothing:

I have a 8722ES network analyzer that I'm trying to make a nice little MATLAB GUI so that the lab guys don't have to walk over to the network analyzer all the time. I'm connected to the analyzer through a GPIB-adapter and through weeks of trial and error (and reading the programming guide from start to finish) I can now send instructions to the network analyzer.

However, I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to get any meaningful data from the network analyzer to my computer.

Using commands (put into MATLAB instrument control panel) "extd" and "savecsv", I'm getting the error on the network analyzer display "caution: disk: not on, not connected, wrong addrs".

I think my question is... how to I tell the network analyzer to find my computer? or possibly how to I address it correctly?

In reality my main question is:

How do I get the nice CSV files that I can currently get on the floppy by using "intd" and "savecsv", on my computer (without walking over to the network analyzer, popping the floppy out, walking over to another computer, and copy/pasting it over).

Helplessly confused,

Keira

P.S. Any pointing in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated... because my question might be completely dumb, so the answer might be dumb. This is really not my area of expertise.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,869 Views)
Do you have a LabVIEW related question? MATLAB programming is not supported here. Typically, with some sort of Read command, you transfer the waveform data to the pc, format it, and have the application program write to file. Commanding the instrument to write to some floppy or the pc with those commands you list is not correct.
Message 10 of 14
(4,848 Views)