cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.6 installer No output No error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

When I make an installer in LV 8.6 (and XP) the status window pops up and is ready in no time. The problem is that there is no output (files) and no error. Building an executable just work fine.

The project where I discovered this was an 8.5 project where the installer works. I just opened it in 8.6 made a few minor changes in a VI and tried to rebuild everything.

I made a new project with one small VI and did the same with the same result. This test project is in the ZIP. 

Can anyone have a look ?

Message Edited by K C on 09-22-2008 03:22 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(3,361 Views)

Hi,

Can someone let me know if the build installer works or not. I still don't know if this is a LV problem or if it only exists on my PC.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(3,328 Views)

Hi KC,

I managed to run the exe file that was attached in the zip file and it behaved exactly as the VI did. Is the issue that you create an installer but there is no exe file created when you run the installer? If this is the issue, you need to add the exe file that you have created to the installer when you create it. 

Add a new installer, in the installer wizard, click on the Source files tab. 

This will display your project along with the "Build test" exe file. Highlight the "build Test" exe and press the blue arrow.  This will add the file to the installer. Build the installer.

Once it has been built, run the installer and the program "build test" will be located in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\ukmclena\Desktop\Builds\Build test\My Installer

*Note this will be different on your machine, if you click on the installer in the project explorer and go to the properties, "product information" will tell you where the installer is located.

After the installer has run, you should find the exe file located in the directory that you specified during the installation. I have attached the project that I have edited.

Please let me know if you have any further issues,

Thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(3,288 Views)

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reaction.

I tried your project file on my PC and it gave the same result. No action when I build the installer.

I think I have to reinstall LV 8.6  Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(3,283 Views)

Hi KC,

Just before you do a re-install, it maybe worth looking at any antivirus settings and seeing if it is deleting the files before they can be viewed. Are you using an Office machine or your personal machine? Can you also give me the version of LabVIEW that you are using?

Thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(3,271 Views)

Hi Andrew,

Well I will not jump into the reinstall immediately.

It is on the office machine. With 8.5 everything is OK. I noticed it the first time with a 8.5 job (exe and installer build OK) after installing 8.6.

This project still builds OK with 8.5

I don't think the Virus scanner deletes something. The installer build is ready in less then 1 second.

At home I don't have 8.6 and at work I am the only LV user  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(3,263 Views)

Hi K C,

I wondered if you could possibly turn on logging for the application builder so that we can have a look at what the program is actually doing. In order to turn on logging, please follow the instructions below:

1. Navigate to the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6 directory.
  2. Open up the LabVIEW.ini file and copy the "CDK.EnableLog=true" text to the bottom of the file. Enabling this feature will cause a detailed debug log to be written to your temp directory.
  3. Save the changes and close the ini file.

This will generate a log file in you temp directory. You should see a file named "Name.log" where "name" is the name of your build specification. For example, you might see "My Installer.log" if the name of your build specification is "My Installer". When I ran this with the project you provided, I did get a file called "My Installer.log" in my temp directory.

If you manage this, can you attach the file so we can do a comparison?

Many thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(3,236 Views)

Hi Andrew,

I created a log file as you asked. I noticed that this log file is created when I change something in the installer properties. This file is not create during a installer build !!  Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(3,227 Views)

Hi KC,

Could you try deleting this log file, pressing build, and exiting once the build is finished? This should generate a log file as well. Having looked at your log file and compared it with mine, it seems that your application builder is loading all the dependancies but not actually executing the build. I've attached my log file for you to have a look at to see if that can help.

I will continue to look at this issue but in the mean time, could you possibly log onto your pc as an administrator and try the setup build that way? I just want to determine whether or not it is a permissions issue.

Thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(3,219 Views)

Hi Andrew,

When I build the installer there is no log file created.  Smiley Surprised  Like I said the build process is ready within 1 second.

I have administrator rights on my PC. I deleted the files in the temp dir, started LV, opened the project, build the installer and closed LV again.

Result no files in the temp dir.

Search the disk to be sure and no log file found.

Getting close to the reinstall ?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(3,195 Views)