LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.0 to 8.2.1 upgrade

I am upgrading from LV8.0 to LV8.2.1. After the SW install completed, all of my top level vi’s are broken. I have two main issues so far. There may be more but with all top level vi’s broken I don’t have any visibility.

1)      When I did a mass compile on my first project folder I got over 700 “### Bad VI” entries!  This project is only moderate in size, maybe 500 vi’s. When I looked into a couple of the vi’s to see what was wrong, it appeared in each case the 8.2.1 subvi was not compatible with the 8.0 subvi. One example is in the report generation tools. I no longer have the excel or word options in the New Report.vi even though the “LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit for Microsoft Office” utility is still installed. How can I regain my ability to write excel and word docs? Also, the Dispose Report.vi no longer has save options. Will open files be saved and closed before the vi terminates or do I need to add more code to do this?

2)      I had customized my Functions and Control pallets with special driver libraries. I am using the .lvlib constructs to load application specific drivers. The pallets are now reset to default. Is there a way to preserve the pallet configuration during upgrades? This can’t be all that difficult.

Backwards compatibility and preserving user configurations are both hallmarks of good programming practices. Surely you are not going to force me to repair 50 vi’s per project and reconfigure my pallets every time I do an upgrade. There must be a better solution. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,341 Views)
When upgrading LabVIEW, toolkits have never been automatically moved from the old to the new version. One reason, I think, is that often, a toolkit will require it's own upgrade in order to be compatible. I think in other cases, there are license issues where the toolkit can only be used with a single version. Assuming that the Report Gen Toolkit does not require an upgrade, you can re-install it and it should be available in 8.2. You might also try copying the relevant files from the 8.0 folder to the same place in the 8.2 folder. I don't use this toolkit so I don't know if an upgrade is required or even which folders need to be copied.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,333 Views)