From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 dB/octave highpass Butterworth problem

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I want to make pre-emphasis filter. I know some specifications:

First order Butterworth, high-pass with cutoff frequency of 1200Hz, 6 dB per octave. I know how to use Butterworth filter.vi, but don´t know how to implement my specifications. I don´t  have Digital Filter Design toolkit. Can it be done without this toolkit?

I checked help and examples finder, but it didn´t give me any clue.

I have LabVIEW 2013

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,297 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TomTomTomTomTom

6 dB per octave multiplied by the number of poles or the order of the filter is the rolloff of a Butterworth filter. So you need a 1st order filter.

Use the Butterworth Filter.vi from the Signal Processing >> Filters palette. Set the order to 1. Set the type to Highpass.  Set low cutoff freq: fl to 1200 Hz.  Note that you set the low cuttof frequency, not the high frequency cutoff as you might expect. Read the detailed help for the confusing details.

Lynn

First order Filter.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,273 Views)

Thanks!!!

As I understand -> 6 dB/octave is default value for first order Butterworth filter?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,237 Views)

Yes, you get 6 dB/octave rolloff per pole (or per order) for a Butterworth filter. So a 4th order filter would have a 24 dB/octave rolloff.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,209 Views)