From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5663 Phase Noise

I'm trying to find out how to measure, from within a vi, the phase noise from a PXIe-5663E.  I have the RFSA driver (v2.5.2 and v2.6), so I am able to measure, via the Soft Front Panel, the Phase Noise.  I'd like to automate this process.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,296 Views)

@plasmaphase wrote:

I'm trying to find out how to measure, from within a vi, the phase noise from a PXIe-5663E.  I have the RFSA driver (v2.5.2 and v2.6), so I am able to measure, via the Soft Front Panel, the Phase Noise.  I'd like to automate this process.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

You could try using NI I/O trace to capture the command sent to the 5663E when you use the soft front panel. In the NI I/O Trace options make that NI-RFSA is checked in the View Selection tab.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,290 Views)

That's a resonable idea, however, since it takes quite a long time I'm guessing it would be a sub-optimal solution (it basically sweeps across frequency).  I'd much prefer to verify that there isn't a phase noise measurement VI or driver that could be integrated into my current VI's for automation.  Either way, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,273 Views)

Yes, the measurement can be done in your own VI's:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5595

This will require you to use the NI Modulation Toolkit, and the Phase Noise measurement is actually a shipping example with the toolkit:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210568

I hope this helps.

Systems Engineer
SISU
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,263 Views)

Yeah, I have the modulation Toolkit (comes with the NI-6553E), however, when I open this VI, it cannot find the "mod_Phase Noise Calculation.vi"  Is this part of an older version of the modulation toolkit?  I noticed this post was from 2009.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,259 Views)

The missing VI should be found at (if using LabVIEW 2012):

"C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\addons\Modulation\Analog\support\mod_Phase Noise Calculation.vi

In case you don't have it, I've attached the VI to this post as well.

Systems Engineer
SISU
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,247 Views)