LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party driver and Labview driver conflict

Dear Sir:

I am new to the LABVIEW programming environment.    I own lots of Agilent test equipment and I/O GPIB controller apparatus.

This is the problem.    I used the Agilent I/O utility program to configure my Agilent I/O GPIB device (in this case the device is a  USB to GPIB converter).   The configuration worked fine when my initial installation was conducted.  I then installed LABVIEW and then the Agilent I/O utility program no longer saw my test instruments.    MAX did not detect the Agilent IO GPIB controller device. 

I tried to remedy the problem myself and, hopelessly, made so many changes which were probably detrimental to both program installs that my only remedy appears to be to uninstall and re-install both programs.  

I would like to avoid un-installing and re-installing Labview.   Is there a way I can reset all the labview driver and mode configurations so that Labview will appear to be in a default configuration identical to a new installation (in other words, I am looking for a "reset" configuration option)?

I believe the problem that I have encountered is a common problem and I would like to know before I get into the details of which drivers to enable (HP or NI drivers) what is the best sequence of installation to avoid potential driver conflicts.

For a new installation (no programs are initially installed), is there a sequence of installation which is better:

First, install the Agilent I/O utility and configure the Agilent devices, then install Labview and MAX? or,

First, install Labview/MAX then install the Agilent I/O configuration utility?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,995 Views)

Installing LabVIEW has nothing to do with hardware drivers. It was the installation of NI-VISA with MAX that caused the problem. I know that there are directions on the Agilent web site on how to properly install their hardware to be used with NI software. Typically, all that you have to do in MAX is to select NI-VISA in the software listing, click on the VISA Options on the right side view, then select Passports under My System>General Settings and click the NI-VISA Passport for Tulip.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,990 Views)

Thank you for your feedback.

I need to reset my system to a known state (establish a reference point).

The state of my current set up is unknown (at least to me).  This was due to the configuration changes I had made which probably added to the configuration problem - in other words - made the situation worse.

I was seeking a way to reset my MAX configurations to a known state for technical support.

I chose to utilize the  "RESET CONFIGURATION DATA" in MAX without knowing what it would do.   Can you please explain what this option does exactly?  I find the information provided by the installed help system to be "lacking" to say the least.   I realize now that I should not have chose this option without knowing what this option does exactly.   Please explain what this option does - configuration data is reset to what reference point?   In other words, will I be returned to a configuration state exactly equal to that of a new installation?

I am at the state where system reset is required before proceeding to the next stage (the actual installation).  All other advice is not needed at this time.

Can you please provide me a link to uninstall and re-install MAX (MAX was installed online with LABVIEW and I don't want to uninstall LABVIEW) and tell me the best method to uninstall MAX without affecting LABVIEW?

I would like to thank you Mr. Knutson for your feedback it was appreciated.    Your advice will be helpful in the near future.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,984 Views)
I don't know what the reset actually does. The uninstall of MAX and NI-VISA should not affect LabVIEW. Did you try it?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,968 Views)

Can you please provide me a link to uninstall and re-install MAX (MAX was installed online with LABVIEW and I don't want to uninstall LABVIEW) and tell me the best method to uninstall MAX without affecting LABVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,963 Views)

You can download MAX from this link:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/3560

To uninstall software you can go the control panel in windows, then select Programs and Features, there you can find National Instruments Software, if you click on Uninstall/Change there you are going to see a new window with NI software and you can select the program to uninstall or repair.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,934 Views)

I would like to thank you all for your feedback.

The problem was resolved by uninstalling all software and then re-installing the software.

I would advise people to re-install the 3rd party vendor software first  (Agilent software for Agilent hardware in my case).  Establish 3rd party vendor connectivity of hardware.  Afterward, install NI software and then make any appropriate changes in the software configuration settings.  In my case I had to enable a *.dll (NiVisaTulip.dll) in MAX and then make a configuration change in Agilent Connection Expert. 

I followed all the appropriate instructions but please take notice that connectivity became successful due to an "irregularity".  I was developing connectivity for a USB port to GPIB controller and connectivity failed repeatedly until it was suggested that I disconnect and then re-connect the USB/GPIB device so that the system re-initializes.   This information was found in the software help file.  This is a "particular condition" that may be required and it was only "suggested."  This condition is not set forth explicitly in the installation literature.  I hope future readers find this information helpful.

Although the install was successful, I would still like to know what "RESET CONFIGURATION DATA" in MAX does..   Can anyone please explain exactly what this option does? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,921 Views)