From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d plots

Solved!
Go to solution

I cannot get the 3D Plot example vi's to run on a Dell laptop, Win7, 64 bit, 4 GB memory, with LV2009 sp1 installed as 32bit.  The vi loads (lots of sub vi's!) but then the front panel is frozen.  Can't run the vi and cannot even close it or get back to LV.  Have to use Task Manager to kill LV.  Everything else in LV seems to run fine.  I tried reinstalling LV, but same problem.

But on a desktop Dell in the lab, same configuration, the 3D plots run fine.  So it can't be Win7 or 64 bit mode.  Any ideas what might be wrong with the configuration of the laptop?

Thanks, Eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,521 Views)

Hi efrank03,

I was looking for the 3D Plot example in LV 2009, but I was not able to find one called “3D Plot” Would you upload the vi that you are working in?

Another question, when you say that the VI loads, is it giving you an error? Or looking for a VI in a specific folder? Is this happening only with this example or another code is giving the same problem?

Maybe you can try a LabVIEW repair and run again the example VI. Are both computers with the same LV version?

Regards,

steve.bm
AE | NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,499 Views)

Hi Stevbe,

Thanks for answering this. The specific version of LV is 2009 Professional version 9.0.1 (SP1 iupdate is installed). 

The example plots are located in the Program Files folder, where National Instruments programs are located.  In 64 bit Win7, that is Program Files (86).  So look in National Instruments/LV2009/examples/Math Plots/3D Math Plots/ and then try either 3D Surface Plot or 3D Contour Plot.  As I mentioned, the vi loads (it is loading LOTS of associated VI's, but they are all locked for me of course) and then the Front Panel displays with an unbroken run arrow (white), but everything is frozen.  During the loading process, LV seems to find all the associated VI's because it does not interrupt the loading process and ask me to find the vi it is looking for. The graph itself on the FP is filled with bits of the destop or the BD, not just blank.  I cannot even switch to the BD, or close the vi or even quit LV.  Everything is locked.  The only way I can proceed is to bring up Task Manager and kill LV.

I did try running a complete LV repair but the symptoms are precisely the same.  Perhaps I should uninstall everything and then reinstall it.  The installation does run all my other vi's, including ones that collect, analyze and display data (i.e. lots of graphs), but just hangs on these 3D plots (and perhaps other vi's I have not tried).  Because the system is frozen, I can't get to any diagnostic or error codes.

As I mentioned before, the vi runs find on another Dell desktop machine that is also running 64 bit Win7 with LV 9.0.1 installed (the 32 bit version of LV is installed on both machines).  So it is likely some setting on the laptop that is causing the problem.  I am hoping you can guess from the symptoms what that might be so I can fix it!

I'll be interested to hear what you recommend.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,493 Views)

Hi efrank03,

With your description, I’m thinking that this is an issue related to the video card, what is the video card in your computer? Can you modify the video settings and try different configurations?

Regards,

steve.bm
AE | NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,482 Views)

I'll try that.  Last night I uninstalled and re-installed LV2009.  But exactly the same symptoms.  I will check the video setting on the Dell desktop (same configuration as the laptop) and try to use the same ones on the laptop and see what that does.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,478 Views)

Hi Eric,

Try deactivating Aero from Windows, upgrading the video drivers or using a different video card (if you have one that you can use for testing). Sometimes video drivers, or plug-ins or add-ons that enhance the graphics in the operating systems causes conflicts.

Regards, 

steve.bm
AE | NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,470 Views)

Hi Steve,

That worked!  Couldn't believe it.  I had never heard of Aero, so did not know what you were talking about.  And I don't think there is a separate display card in a laptop. But I updated all the drivers from Intel (the graphics one went from 8.15.19.2182 to 8.15.10.2509), and saw something on Intel's site about Aero desktops.  So when I rebooted, I checked out the desktops and saw a bunch of Aero ones.  I chose a Windows Classic one, and sure enough, the Contour Plot loaded and ran.

All that struggle removing and reloading LV!  But now it works.

Thanks so much,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,457 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author efrank03

Hi efrank,

I’m glad that everything is working now for you, It will be great for future reference from other users if you mark this forum as resolved.

Regards,

steve.bm
AE | NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,437 Views)