LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d parametric surface vi doesn't work on 64 bit?

I have windows 8.1 64 bit machine.I cannot use any more 3d parametric surface vi, which used to work in my old 32 bit machine. I searched in the Labview Help and tried to open the example, the torus one, in order to check, and I even cannot open it any more. It says: maybe you have not Professional Labview (this is not the case), maybe you have not installed some driver (which one?), maybe you machine is not compatible. 

Does someone know what's happening to me?Is there a way to make it work? 

I have labview 2012 professional. 

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,002 Views)

Hi Gnappo,

3d parametric Surface should works on 64 bit machine (i've got win7 64bit and it works).

Your LabVIEW is 32 or 64bit?

Can you drag the block into vi?

Can you see it in palette?

Can you post the error screenshot?

Bye

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,941 Views)

This thread may answer some questions.  In essence, the 'classic' 3D graphs don't work in 64 bit LabVIEW.  However, they should work fine in 32 bit LabVIEW on a 64 bit OS. 

It was a little unclear from your post if this is actually your situation.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,938 Views)

Yes, that was my case. Labview 64 bit on a 64 bit machine. Could this bug be solved? Any technician knows why it doesn't work? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,930 Views)

@gnappo wrote:

Yes, that was my case. Labview 64 bit on a 64 bit machine. Could this bug be solved? Any technician knows why it doesn't work? 

I would ask if there is any specific reason why you need to use LabVIEW x64?  BTW - Both versions coexist just fine on one computer, and just like most source code, the VIs themselves are architecture-agnostic.  They will happily be converted from one to the other without issue.  LabVIEW will just ask you to re-save everything.  I guess you proabably should do a mass-compile of your project anyway.  In fact, the hardest thing to remember is to launch from the "All Programs" start menu to avoid opening the wrong version.

The only time I would recommend LabVIEW x64 is if you ABSOLUTELY need to access the extra memory space; otherwise, there are too many big negatives, like limited availability of drivers (remember, x64 anything (not just LV) cannot use x86 dlls and vice-versa) and toolkit incompatibilities.  And most memory situations can be resolved by judicious memory management.

Maybe the best thing to do is load LV x86 alongside LV x64.  (One license will work for both versions.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,922 Views)

@gnappo wrote:

It doesn't work because, as outlined in the thread I linked, the ActiveX Control was not ported to 64 bit by Microsoft, and I would not expect this to change.

There is a Parametric graph designed to replace it located on the Graph>3d Graph palette.  But beware if you try to do anything too fancy with it.

graph.png

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,916 Views)