LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d graph "not enough memory" message and then crashing

Hi,

I noticed unusuall behavour in 3D graph control in LV 2011. LV is installed on XP SP3 32bit machine. I already comented and send the crash report but here is what happened:

I created an app that reads 95 data files (9MB each), then doing some math I end up with an array of size 4096 of DBL data for one data file.

That means 4096*95*64 bits of data (2D array) wich is arround 3MB of data. So far so good. Now I want to plot this data using Surface 3D graph control. If I just place an indicator after the for loop (I place 2D array indicator) VI finishes normally, but when I connect the output of the for loop to the Z input of the graph control, the VI stops with pop up message "Not enough memory"....WHAT?

In addition after the "Not enough memory" message VI stopped and I was played arround with 3D graph properties. I noticed that for every change I made memory increased for about the same amount as the amount of data was passed to the 3D graph control (3MB in my case) and surely I played with settings long enough to crash LV altogether with an Xcontrol message (see pic) and crash report msg.

3d graph error.jpg

Since ploting 3MB of data shouldnt be a problem on a 2,8Ghz i5 machine with GeForce 9500 GT GPU and 3,5GB of RAM I'm wondering if this is a bug in Xcontrol?

regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,136 Views)

POst a sample to duplicate the crash.

Zip it up since a VI wiht the data will be too large to post by itself.

Include instructions to reproduce the crash.

Once confirmed we can get the bug (if any) logged and fixed.

Trying to help,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,126 Views)

Hi, 

it turned out that there was one file (last one ofcourse) that was somehow corrupted and instead of 4096 data points the my program "somehow" got 300k datapoints. So instead of ending up with 4096*95 2D array of DBLs I ended up with 300k*95 2D array of DBLs wich ofcourse crashed the LabView. So this was purely my bad. But then again I was intereseted how much data I can pass to 3D graph without crashing. So I started to incrementally fill the 3D graph control and when I passed arround 70MB to the 3D graph the control started to aact strange. If I tryed to rotate the plot the surface of points that was there before the rotation dissapeared. The 3D graph control showed the data (the surface) just brefly when I rotated the plot again. It seems that afterall 3D graphs (XControls) have some issues with large(?) amounts of data.

I'll investigate further and post findings.

regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,098 Views)