LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D-Printer

Solved!
Go to solution

For Study we need make a 3D Printer, but we want tocontrol it with labview (the 3D-printer is homemade and has no software yet).

Only my problem is  reading in .stl files in, but after reading I don't find a 3D image. So my Question is what I wrong or forget, and my second question is or there is a tutorial for working with 3D pictures in labview.

I use Labview 2010 Development Systems (also have ability to use labview 2011).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,945 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Comitatus

As far as I know, you can only load ASCII STL files into the 3D picture control, not binary ones. Your STL file is a binary one. Try saving it as an ASCII STL file.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,925 Views)

We are putting together an in-house 3D bioprinter and are deciding whether it would be possible to have the entire 3D printer software toolchain implemented in labview. Namely, can we import an STL file into labview, visualize the 3D model, slice the model into layers (i.e. generate g-code), and communicate the g-code to our multiaxis motion controller (which we are planning on purchasing from NI)? I am new to Labview and I would highly appreciate any advice. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,847 Views)

Hello canuck,

I am not really into 3D modeling but I can at least give you the information I know from LabVIEW perspective. There is a native VI within LabVIEW which can load STL files. Like in the post above it only supports ASCII STL files, not the Binary files. Below you will find a link to an example that shows how to use the VI and display the model in a 3D Picture Control:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5218

But the reference that comes out of the Load STL file can also be used to get the properties of the model like this:

STL Load.jpg

Hopefully the items in the list do ring a bell for you. I think you can use the data which you retrieve from these items to implement what you want to do but again, I am not into the 3D modeling it self so take a look at that part your self and If I can be on any help for for functions use in LabVIEW please let me know!

Regards,

Rik Prins, CLA, CLED
Software Development Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,818 Views)

Dear man

I got some issue related to 3d Printer , Can you send me your email and i goona get the conversation with you , is it ok ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,782 Views)