From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Picture Pick point Point of cloud

Hello, 

I´m having a problem using a PickPoint in my 3D Picture. The thing is when I load STL, everything works (displayes point coordinates) but when a point cloud is loaded, nothing happens. Unfortunately I can´t give my code away so at least I will put here some screenshots.

front panel with point cloud loadedfront panel with point cloud loaded

PickPoint works for STL filePickPoint works for STL file

3D object creation3D object creation

Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(866 Views)

I'd say that a point is infinitely small, so you simply won't be able to click a point.

You probably have to do the hit detection yourself. And yes, that's probably hard.

You'll find out that you can't hit detect a line and a point, you'd probably have to find the point closest to the line, and test if the distance is acceptable.

Another option is to make a mesh from the points, but that's a huge topic on it's own.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(850 Views)

Thank you for your ideas.

I have tried to increase the point size by a large amout but it did not help either. So my guess is that LabVIEW does not count those points as the object (like surface of a STL object).

Unfortunately I don´t have neither time or skill to do the nearest point detection my self, since my deadline for this project is getting tighter every day 😀

Creating an invissible mesh from the cloud and picking a point from there is something I thinked about, but the output I need is the precise point I clicked on (for further cloud alignment by ICP algorythm).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(847 Views)

@Spin69 wrote:

Thank you for your ideas.

I have tried to increase the point size by a large amout but it did not help either. So my guess is that LabVIEW does not count those points as the object (like surface of a STL object).

Not LabVIEW, but OpenGL\Mesa3D.

I doubt LabVIEW does much to do the hit detect.

The point size seems to be just rendering, and I would have put my money on that.

@Spin69 wrote:

Creating an invissible mesh from the cloud and picking a point from there is something I thinked about, but the output I need is the precise point I clicked on (for further cloud alignment by ICP algorythm).

The point (pun intended) is that you can't click exactly on a point.

The problem is also ambiguous. If you would do a manual hit detect, you get a conflict. It will return distances to all the points, and as you click through the object, are you looking for the point closest to the line, or closest to the camera? I don't think there's an easy answer.

Getting the distance from the line to the point doesn't seem too hard:

1) Get a 3D vector going through the camera and the click on the view plane

2) For all points, get the Distance from a point to a line - Wikipedia  (I'd use "Line defined by two points)

3) Use Array Min & Max to get the smallest distance and the index of the point.

I don't know by heart how to do 1), but it can't be that hard.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(834 Views)