LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Meshing with XYZ using a 3D curve graph

I am currently trying to real time plot X-Y grid co-ordinates against 'z' depth (for mapping a lake). I've got a 3D curve graph plotting XYZ points but I need it to mesh the sub-surface to create an image of the lake bed. The 3Dmesh example talks of a w-vector which is visible when you enter the 3Dcurve vi though I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,483 Views)
Which version of LabVIEW are you using? If you have version 5.1 or higher then there might be an easier route. The 3D surface vi was added in 5.1. I imagine you are using something older since it sounds like you are using the G math toolkit. If this is the case, do you have a piece of code you could attach? It should help give us an idea of where you are at.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,483 Views)
Nothing that advanced I'm afraid, I'm using LabView 6i for the first time so no G math code. I've simply got three strings of data latitude position, longitude position and depth for the outer perimeter of a lake. These are read into a 3D curve graph and plotted with 1)just XY and 2)XYandZ as points within the graph. I can get these joined up as shown in the attached VI and by double clicking on the 3D surface VI I can change the property node labelled Plot3D curve to Plot3D mesh. However when you do this (when it doesn't come up with an error) it plots a random mesh, not the intended squares that I am looking for. Ideally I want it eventually created a 3D image of the surface and sub-surface of the lake as the data is fed in as XYZ every second in r
eal time. I've seen what it's capable of in the graph properties; when you click add plots in the plots tab of properties it shows exactly what I'm after as some default function
I've attached what I've done so far (not very impressive I know) but hopefully it illustrates what I am trying to do. Thankyou
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,483 Views)
I have attached an example that I think illustrates what you are trying to do. Just let me know if I'm not on the right page again. I basically added a couple of property and invoke nodes and also added another plot (surface) to the 3d control.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,483 Views)
Cheers for the reply, I can see what you've done only the control won't open in LabView 6i and we're still waiting for 6.1 to filter down to us. Is this vi possible in LabView 6i?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,483 Views)
If you replace my control with your version of the cw3dgrph.ocx file, do you get any results? I haven't tried it out using the older .ocx file that shipped with 6.0 since I only have the newer one on my machine. If replacing it doesn't help I can try and recreate it with the older version. Just let me know what you find out.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,483 Views)
Unfortunately when the file is opened in LabView6i it automatically loads the default 3D control for that version. When you run it, it shows the same as before so there must be something specific in the new control that allows meshing. If you think you can do it in 6i that would be brilliant if not i'll have to wait for 6.1
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,483 Views)