From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Graph log scale "feature"

Solved!
Go to solution

Another annoying feature just discovered in the 3D Graph object: in Log scale, you can define the boundaries of an axis, but it will be ignored by the graph itself.

Example. Here are the settings I define for the Y axis. Notice the minimum value of 5?

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

Well, fat luck... Here is what LV is ready to do:

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

Now, in Edit mode, I can edit the scale itself and force the smallest value of the Y axis to be 5, but here is how it goes:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

Not cool!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,061 Views)
Solution
Accepted by X.

Hi X-),

This was reported to R&D (# 292956) for further investigation.

The best workaround is to make sure you are setting the minimum and maximum values for a logarithmic axis to a power of 10.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,049 Views)

OK. The problem is that the Z axis color scale is also malfunctioning. If the data lies, say, between 0.6 and 1, it is of no use to set the Z scale to not be defined automatically and set it, say, to 0-1. IThe grpah will nevertheless automatically set the scale to 0.6 - 1.

That would be be acceptable if one had the possibility to then adjust the contour levels. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do so. The "Level List" option below has an enticing "[Add new level here]" that I was unable to use...

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,039 Views)

I'm having the same issue with a 3d scatter plot: no matter what I do, the z-axis color ramp is auto-scaled to the max/min of the data.  (I would prefer that it follows the graph's scale range, which I am setting by property node, with auto-scaling off.)

-Barrett
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,032 Views)

You can add new level or edit existing ones when the mode is "Level List". Left mouse click would pop the editor.

property.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,028 Views)

Also, when the mode is "Level List", you can delete the level by click the level in the List and press Delete on the keyboard.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,023 Views)

Hi hanrock,

thanks, I got the Level List to work as you described. But if I may say, it is not exactly "Standard":

- To have to press the "Delete" key(not the Backspace key, no Ctrl-X shortcut, no right click contextual menu) to remove an entry is very specific to this object (and not described in the Help file).- To have to left click in the "[Add new level here]" entry and wait for a couple of seconds to have it turn black and be editable is not intuitive either.  There is BTW no editor popping up for me when I left-click the entry, so I am not sure what you are referring to.

- Worse, if you do that and then decide to not enter a new value, and for instance click outside of the listbox, you get this pop-up window:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

which:

1) does not make any sense, as you haven't actually entered any level at all

2) hangs up LabVIEW for 10-20 seconds (in this depressed OK button mode I have pasted above) before it reverts to a clickable OK button and can be pressed to discard the window.

I would suggest that this object be debugged further. I have noticed other issues with it that are even worst than those I have mentioned so far (maybe topic for another post when I get sufficiently annoyed by them?)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,013 Views)

Thanks for you feedback, X-)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,002 Views)