LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

34405A device could not start

Hello everyone

I want to connect a Agilent 34405A with labview but i have a problem.

when I plug it on my pc it appears in Windows device manager as marked by a yellow sign and display the merror message : Device could not start (code 10). And so it does not appear in NI max

I knew that my problem doesn't came from the Device because i have tried to comunicate with him with agilent connection expert from another pc and it was ok with the agilent driver.

I think that the problem came from the usb test and mesurement device driver from IVI but I think I have the latest version so i don't know if they are any other that i can use.

Thank's  for helping!

Here is my configuration

Windows 7

Labview 2016

NI max 17.0 NI visa 17.0

ausbtmc.sys  IVI driver 80.3.1717614.00

Agilent 34405A

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,548 Views)

I'll go ahead and ask some stupid questions - let me know if I hit anything:

• You mention it works with another computer using specific software. What is the difference between the computers?
  • Can you use the same software on the computer you're interested in?
  • Did you try plugging it in again, or to a different port?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,496 Views)

i think the major difference between the pc is that the other pc is on XP so it is not possible for me to install labview 2016 and the device drivers on it.

The software is the agilent one and i have see on the forum that there is conflict between agilent visa and ni visa so when i have tried it didn't work.

I have tried to unplugg it and replug it in different port with different cable and with different device of the same model.

It sometimes successfuly instal the driver  when i use the update driver option of the device management tool of Windows. But it only appears in ni max with a yellow label and can't open a visa session (error :BFFF0011)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,488 Views)

Is this the conflict you're talking about? Copied from http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/Suite_15_Readme.htm

Vista USBTMC Driver incompatibility: On Windows Vista (and only on Vista) there is an incompatibility between USBTMC drivers supplied by National Instruments and Agilent Technologies. If you have NI-VISA installed as the primary VISA and Agilent VISA installed as the secondary VISA, you may experience one of two problems depending on which driver is associated with the USBTMC instrument.

If the National Instruments driver is associated with the USB device, the USB driver vendor field in Agilent Connection Expert Properties Pane will be blank.

In this case, the Connection Expert shows the USBTMC device in the failed state and the device cannot be used by the Connection Expert or by a VISA program that was built to explicitly use Agilent VISA (linked with agvisa32.dll). It can be used by a normal VISA program (one linked with visa32.dll) and the device will appear in NI-MAX. The VISA Open Report will indicate that the device is managed by NI-MAX and is usable in a VISA program.

If the Agilent USB driver is associated with the device, the USB driver vendor will be identified as Agilent Technologies.

In this case, Connection Expert shows the USBTMC device in the connected state and the Connection Expert and Agilent’s Interactive IO program can communicate with it. It will not, however, be usable by a standard VISA program and it will not be visible in NI-MAX. The VISA Open Report will show that this device is managed by Agilent Connection Expert as unavailable to a VISA program.

If you need to change the USBTMC driver associated with a device, you must do it for each device you wish to change. From the Windows device manager, right click on the device you wish to change and select ‘Update Driver Software…’. Choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ then choose ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’. From that list select the driver you desire and then click ‘Next’ to install the driver. You may be asked to reboot when you make this change.

If you choose the NI driver, your device will be visible in NI-MAX and will work with normal VISA programs. The device will appear as failed in Agilent Connection Expert.
If you choose the Agilent driver, your device will not be visible in NI-MAX and it will not work with a normal VISA program. The device will be visible and connected in Agilent Connection Expert.

Note: on Windows XP, this is not an issue because the NI USBTMC driver is (for the most part) compatible with the Agilent driver.

It looks for Windows 7 they're claiming it's ok to install the tools.

Edit: I was briefly worried that was just because a newer operating system didn't exist when the readme was written, so I searched a little deeper.

From the summary of versions (http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/AgilentIOLibrariesSuiteRevisionMatrix.htm😞

• Fixed USBTMC interoperability issue with NI-VISA (version 15.1)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,480 Views)

hum yes it seem that the problem doesn't occur on Windows 7 however i had clue that this wasn't the problem because i have another agilent device (DS1024A) who work perfectly well.

That is what i don't understand both device use the same driver but one is connected without any trouble and the other one don't seem to be able to comunicate via Visa on this computer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,476 Views)

i have install the Agilent connection expert 15 and try to comunicate with my multimeter but agilent give me the error message :not the controller in charge in the same time when the device show up in max and I try to comunicate a got a hex BFFF0011 information about position are not sufficient for the connexion. I d'ont understand it doesn't seems to come from the driver cause it work for my other device or maybe this device could not comunicate  with Windows 7?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,450 Views)