LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2009 sp1 slow build

Hello Everyone,

Many of the things we do in the build process take place in the UI thread (any writing to disk, use of property nodes, etc.).  Because they need to use the UI thread much of the process is single threaded.

The Installer Build Specification Delay seems to be a completely unrelated issue.  I would suggest if you have a support contract to call into support so we can trouble shoot this issue further.  It sound like a problem populating the additional installers page but its tough to tell.  Does this happen only with the one project or is it with any Installer Build Specification?

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(3,128 Views)

Thanks for your answer Jon,

the delays related to Installer Build Spec is most noticable in that large project (~2400 VIs) I described, but also appear as shorter delays in some medium sized projects. Small projects are okay.

So I don't think it's related to the additional installers, but rather something related to parsing through my project items.

I'll file a bug report via my servicecontract...

Even though the Build process needs to talk to the GUI, I can't see any reason to place most of the heavy-duty processing in the UserInterface thread?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(3,110 Views)

Hello LeifS,

I believe that the slow down in the installer builder is due to the fact that we generate previews for build specs in the project.  If generating a preview for your large application takes awhile we could see this slow down.

I should also clarify my response to application building using the UI thread.  Without going into much detail, the build process is inherently sequential.  Most of the process has to take place in a particular order.  Also, some of the these processes must take place in the UI thread (e.g. writing to disk).  Because of this, building isn't a process that can utilize multiple cores easily.  In fact a single core computer with a faster single CPU could build faster than a multicore machine with slower CPUs.

I hope that this gives a bit of insight as to what is going on.  I can assure you that the build process speed is something that is on our radar and something we want to improve.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(3,080 Views)

I must say that overall my experience with LabVIEW 2009 SP1 is not very positive.

Running this on a Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz laptop, with 8Gb of RAM, the performance is just awful.

Everything is much, much slower in development than LabVIEW 7.1.1

(I skipped all the 8 versions).

Icon editor, first time, takes a while.

Loading a project (ok, about 2000 vi's), takes a long time.

building the app then takes ridiculous long time.

It is just not the pleasant experience I was used to in LabVIEW 7.1.1

Not sure how labview 2010 will be. Especially as we can not afford to upgrade everytime. Not a labview license issue. But the effort it takes to convert code to a newer labview version is just too much. If I see everything that changed between labview 7 and 9 (and 8 as well), making many GUI panels not work the same.

This all is making labview a much, much less efficient environment for serious software development.

I was wondering what the experience is of others.

It is that we need some of the new functionality of labview 2009. Otherwise I would be very tempted to stick with LV7.

Let me know what you think.

Message 14 of 17
(3,032 Views)

Hello,

@oskar Bosch wrote:

I must say that overall my experience with LabVIEW 2009 SP1 is not very positive.

Running this on a Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz laptop, with 8Gb of RAM, the performance is just awful.

Everything is much, much slower in development than LabVIEW 7.1.1

This all is making labview a much, much less efficient environment for serious software development.

Well, LabView 2009 just killed a factory test session tomorrow, I am NOT able to build  / run an executable any more after starting to use MathScript with User Defined function extensively!

And builds are taking up to 45 minutes on a Core 2 duo processor with 4 GB of RAM. Opening Build Dialogs (some tabs) may take 15 or more minutes.

When a build finally fails, one has forgotten what was the original problem or what was fixed. Sometimes the app. builds, but then fails to run.

LV is indeed powerful, but the reoccuring problems with "banal" things like builds that fail, or builds that don't run is really killing the productivity!

I have seen compilers / programming environments that have problem for the first year or so, but after > 20 years of LV development, it is sad that this environment is not under better control.

Do we really need a new version of LabView with yet more features and yet more bugs, or do we need a version of LV that is stable?

I run a small company, we do NOT have the time and money or resoruces to go into weeks of troubleshooting yet another version of LabView, like we did in 2007 with LabView 8.2 (and nothing came out of it!)

Geir Ove
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(2,901 Views)

NI is helping us make the statement to transition away from LabVIEW.

With a less robust environment, less support for current technologies, its advantages are getting smaller and smaller.

I wonder why some companies / groups would use any newer version of labview than labview 7.

Are the newly supported technologies worth it? Is the slight performance increase worth it?

Development is slower. Startup time of the application is slower. The installer is HUGE!!!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(2,891 Views)

I've had problems recently with slow builds since I've upgraded from version 7 to 2009 (and now 2010).  The build used to take about a minute and now was going so slow it would take much more than an hour to build.

Started doing a bit of messing around with a backup copy of my source code to see if I could find any issues - however this time I created a new project instead of using the included tool to convert the .bld file from ver 7 and the build time was back down 1 min. 

Went back to my original code and deleted and recreated from scratch the project file and the build worked like a charm!

Don't know what the issue was with the project file, didn't delve into it any deeper, just glad it's over.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(2,735 Views)