From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

-1073807343 Timeout Errors on LabVIEW with NE1000 Pumps

Dear Jeff

Thank you for your comments! I have tried many times contacting the sole distributor of this pump's company in my country with regards to this. Their software engineer kept referring me to "Syringe Pump Pro", a software by the pump's company which could be used to programme the pumps. However, this is not the solution I am looking for because first, it is costs and each license is valid only for one pump and one PC; second, I am planning to add in another non-syringe pump device in my set-up - this closed system software would never enable me to control my non-syringe pump device.

You could find more information about Syringe Pump Pro here if anyone of us is interested or thinks it could be helpful: http://www.syringepumppro.com/

I have tried downloading and using the trial version. I thought if my two pumps could work concurrently using the software, then it would mean that there is nothing wrong on the hardware side and I should just focus on the software (LabVIEW) side. Unfortunately, the trial version is limited to only a single pump's use.

I have ought help from the NI and NE technical stuffs too. I really hope to get my problem fixed and share the solution with the community here. Since the NE pumps are commonly used, I believe there must be other people facing similar problems as me too!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(1,378 Views)

After hearing your suggestion I wrote the modified code: Filtration Pump Edited with Blokk's Suggestions. The code run without the usual timeout errors but towards the later steps, there were error boxes saying certain commands could not be carried out and all along as the code runs, only pump 00 was connected with the little triangle on the top left hand corner and it carried out all the commands. However pump 01 was not connected - it does not have the little triangle on the top left hand corner - and does not operate. The same case happens when I used your code.

I thought it could be because the later steps are not properly sequenced and that the addresses in each blue block have yet been checked and specified. Hence I made the modifications and created: Filtration Pump Edited with Blokk's Suggestions with fixed parameters for actual experiment.

I repeatedly try running the code but the same "-1073807343" timeout errors (the screenshot is attached) appear non stop despite multiple attempts to restart the computer, machines and software. At some attempts pump 00 would display the little triangle, at some others, pump 01 would do so. Sometimes, both pumps would be connected too. It is not fixed.This is very awkward.

Do you have any advice on this 'awkward' situation and could you see if my code is fine?

Message 12 of 23
(1,341 Views)

Hello,

First of all, I still do not like the sequence structure, you should use a state machine instead! For example, you need to use big time delays (like 30 sec): if you do not use a proper state machine, there is no way to abort for example your code in a sane way. You really have to learn how to program a state machine, and clean up your program. Go for the learning resources (Core 1-2 online course: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-40451   (under section: "looking for free training") + http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3024/en/ + http://www.ni.com/newsletter/51770/en/)

Just for a first clean up of your code, you should try the following, does it give the same problems (see attachment)?By the way, why do you use "In Place Element Structure" in your block diagram without any purpose? You should really go on with the learning material...

So this VI which is attached, is only for testing, and you should clean up more, use subVIs to simplify, and finally a state machine to do proper (abortable) timing!!!

Another possible workaround could be to use two separate RS232 lines...maybe the serial chain network does not work for some reason properly...? At least to try...

edit: and another important part of the code is to close the VISA resource at the end of your VI! This was missing from your code! ("NE50-X Close.vi")

Message 13 of 23
(1,324 Views)

Dear Blokk

Thank you so much for your help. I am looknig into the online classes to proper learn things.

By the way, could you save the VI file in another format? I am using version 13 and there is an error loading the file. I had no problems loading the first file though.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(1,296 Views)

Here it comes!

Have fun with learning LabVIEW!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(1,282 Views)

Also fix the time delay positions and values, I think I put these in the wrong order. Anyway, you know what delays you need, so you can just reorder these...

Message 16 of 23
(1,241 Views)

Dear Blokk

Your code looks super awesome! It seems perfect but I still have timeout errors as shown in the screenshot. Connections to the two pumps are fine. I did a 'more series' kind of wiring before I received your code. I have attached it if anyone would want to take a look at it.

I have specified the addresses in the sub VIs and on the pumps. Wonder what is wrong...

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(1,221 Views)

@hqwoon wrote:

Dear Blokk

Your code looks super awesome! It seems perfect but I still have timeout errors as shown in the screenshot. Connections to the two pumps are fine. I did a 'more series' kind of wiring before I received your code. I have attached it if anyone would want to take a look at it.

I have specified the addresses in the sub VIs and on the pumps. Wonder what is wrong...

No, my code is not elegant at all, I just wanted to clear away the sequence structures. So only use my code to figure out the source of the error. I have made a more simplifed version of your

code, including two subVIs to wrap up repeating blocks.

Could you try this VI to run? Do NOT use execution highlighting mode, and give the error info what you get in the pop-up window!

As I wrote earlier, another workaround could be that, you just get a second USB-to-RS232 interface, and use the two pumps on two separate VISA lines!

Message 18 of 23
(1,180 Views)

Dear Blokk

I modified your 2nd modification of the code by removing the 'Safe Mode' block and making the entire code in series. It works! Thank you!

I will try out your 3rd version too!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(1,138 Views)

Good to hear your code works now! Mark the post as "solution" whichever helped you to solve your problem.

About my last version with the two subVIs: just remove the "Safemode" VI from the "Diam_direction_Flowr_safemode_sub.vi ", and it should work too.

Your next step should be to create a more sophisticated version of your code: use a state machine where you have the option to abort (or to do other interactions) during the quite long delay times. Read the white papers about state machines, and search the forum too. The LV online courses are also good resources to deep your knowledge in LV. When you start to build up a state machine, and you get difficulties, you can post your code in this forum (under a new post with a descriptive title + content), and you can get help.

Message 20 of 23
(1,111 Views)