From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXT shortest track calculation

Hello,

I have a urgent question. 
One of our teachers has given us the challenge to build an nxt robot that can collect and sort collored balls that are lying on a "playing ground" as shown in picture. (yellow dots are ball locations)
We get the "location" of the collored balls 5 minutes before start of challenge. (We now the places but we dont know which collor will be at what place) so we thought about inserting that by higlighting buttons for one collor of balls and leaving them blank for the other collor balls.
Now, we made VI 's for: turning left/right, stop/riding over a crosspoint (where 2 black lines cross) we can use the ultrasone and light sensors etc... We did lot's of tests with them

But now the problems starts:
We have to write a labview program that can calculate the shortest way to a specified ball (Our goal is to collect 3 balls of same collor at a time before returning to base) following the black lines.
Then transmitting the calculated short track to the nxt true bluetooth. (Shortest way means as less turns obviously).
But we dont have any clue how to program such thing... we only have verry verry basic knowledge of labview and time is really running out...

If anybody has an idea how to make such program or if anybody can give us detailed information on how to program that or if want to be our hero and you can make that program for us...
Please let us know, we are desperate. 😉

Many thanks,
Vincent

(sorry for English mistakes... I'am used to speak dutch Cat Very Happy)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,609 Views)

Hello Vincent,

I do not seem to be able to open your attachment.

Is there an error that you're running into?

What algorithm are you trying to implement to solve this problem?

Do you need to write a program that calculates the shortest path or the shortest amount of time needed?

Shortest path doesn't necessarily mean for me the least amount of turns.

Did you already have a look at this page (http://nxtmastery.com/) to get started with the program?

Have you already defined your algorithm in pseudo-code?

This will help you with implementing your algorithm.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,586 Views)