From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Toolkit for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT bugs

Hi Andreas,

I apologize that you have been disappointed with the quality of the NXT Module for LabVIEW 2013. Our user's experience with and opinion of the product is extremely important to us, so we would like to do whatever we can to improve that.

There was an f1 patch for the NXT Module for LabVIEW 2013 released a couple of weeks ago that I believe may address some of the issues you are seeing. You can download the patch from here:

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-nxt-module-2013/4050/en/

However, I implore you to please continue to bring any issues you have to our attention through these forums so that we can investigate them. The more information about the issue, especially if you can attach a VI that reproduces the issue, the more quickly we can turn around a fix. One thing I ask is that you start a new discussion whenever you find an issue so that they can be more easily navigated.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you to help improve the product.

- Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 121 of 139
(3,199 Views)

Hello Aaron,

I think, I am the wrong person, but I am called Andreas as well.

I had to use LabView for the College Category of the World Robot Olympiad 2013.

Otherwise I wouldn't have used it.

After talking to a few other Teams, we agreed, that it is not useful to use LabView for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT.

With a problem I called the German NI support and they gave me a really wrong answer.

I wrote the problem in this (and two other) forums.

Noone could help me.

But when I talk to an NI developer, he can find out the problem.

He also said, that in the next patch the problem will be solved.

(His workmate is creating the patches)

He wondered, why noone has told him the problem.

If someone had done this, the problem would be solved already.

And no, the last patch didn't solve this problem (yet).

Why have I written all that stuff in here?

Noone fixed the problem.

Could you please tell your colleges from NI what kind of problems there are and don't just give a wrong answer?

My result:

LabView is a great software to make a user inferface for something.

But never, ever use it for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT.

Every other programming language ist better for that.

(And you can forget the NI support. Sorry to say this, but thats my experiance.)

Greetings from Germany,

Andi

0 Kudos
Message 122 of 139
(3,189 Views)

Hi Andi,

My previous post was intended to address the other Andreas' (A._Terstegge) post, who is using NXT Module for LabVIEW 2013.

Nonetheless, I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with the product and with the support you received through our German branch. It is unacceptable that your original forum post went unanswered for over a week. I am going to personally follow up with our support channels to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

I hope that one day we can convince you that LabVIEW is a great option for interfacting with the LEGO MINDSTORMS hardware. If you encounter further issues, please continue to post them in these forums. Thanks.

- Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 123 of 139
(3,179 Views)

Hello all!

just that I am not being misunderstood: I really think LabVIEW is a great way to program the NXT, and I have succesfully build some nice projects in the past with it. The only thing is that either I am using the new version of the toolkit the wrong way, or there are still some bugs in it...

To be more concrete, I will post some stripped-down VIs, which produce the strange behaviour. I am currently installing a fresh Win7 in a virtual machine (uaah, does that take loooong...), to make sure there are no side effects. I will then install a fresh LV2013 and provide the VIs....

0 Kudos
Message 124 of 139
(3,174 Views)

LabVIEW really is the best tool for programming Lego, but even when the sversiones National Instruments development of Robolab, programming come from my experience with the products from Lego RCX version without any problem, it is sure to be a lack of settings, nothing more luck

0 Kudos
Message 125 of 139
(3,159 Views)

When I am using LabVIEW 2012,especially in remote control panel,there is always a crashdown with a "LabVIEW Access Violation" I tried a lot of OS version,but it didn't work.Are there any peopke who also find this problem?And how to slove?

Greetings from China

Yunfan

0 Kudos
Message 126 of 139
(3,029 Views)

LabVIEW 2012 SP1 crashes on 2 different Win 7 PCs using datalogging vi that worked fine last week!  LabVIEW completely closes with error message shown in the attached .jpg file. Very disappointing!

I believe that the latest NXT toolbox patch broke the datalogging since a rollback fixed the problem, but a rollback is not really a satisfactory solution since we are dealing with multiple PCs in an academic environment.  My vi file is also attached if anyone else wants to see if it crashes for them, too.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joel

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 127 of 139
(3,009 Views)

Hello again,

I finally found some time to produce a minimal error scenario:

Please consider the 2 attached files:

1. A simple strict typedef containing a cluster with a NXT reference and a double value

2. A simple program using this typedef.

When I start the VI with "target Computer", everyting compiles OK, and the

motor starts to spin for a short while.

When I compile the VI using "target NXT", the compilation FAILS with:

Error 1097: An exception occurred within the external code called by a Call Library Function Node. The exception might have corrupted the LabVIEW memory. Save any work to a new location and restart LabVIEW.

When I disconnect the "cluster by name" and the "cluster out" elements in the VI, and e.g connect

the "cluster out" element to the cluster constant at the beginning, the VI compiles OK.

But the program does not work, because the motors are not spinning....

Can PLEASE s.o. from NI can look into this? Currently NONE of my NXT programs run in my environment

(fresh WIN7 OS with LV 2013 and ALL available patches applied ...).

I need the LV/NXT environment for a university course starting in summer, and currently the new version

LV 2013 make problems all the time. And I don't want to supply my students with a 'old' LV 2008/9 version,

where all the NXT programs worked without any problems...

PLEASE.....

BR, Andreas

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 128 of 139
(2,966 Views)

Hi Andreas,

please contact the LEGO support concerning this issue.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 129 of 139
(2,947 Views)

Hi Andreas, there should be no need to cluster the brick reference. For what purpose are you using this type?

0 Kudos
Message 130 of 139
(2,862 Views)