LabVIEW for LEGO MINDSTORMS and LabVIEW for Education

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating New Blocks for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT

Khair wrote:

The Lego NXT software release (not toolkit) is a wonderful interactive environment, that should be provided as an add-on application

on its own, call it "block application builder".  I see many useful applications in a variety of different industries where businesses wish to extend to their customers interactive and intuitive interface that they can program in their desired configuration of the product's behavior according to their own use cases. ..

Please make this happen, it will bring about a lot of good.

That's a really good suggestion. I occasionally hear a request like that but it's of course a big effort. Would you be willing to repost this suggestion on the ni idea exchange (http://ni.com/ideas)?  That will give your feature request a larger audience than just this thread and I'm curious to see what the reaction will be.

-Joel

Joel Sumner
NI-Shanghai
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 45
(13,926 Views)

Hi,

I'm using the NXT toolkit and Labview 7.1.1 and created some blocks and successfully imported them into the LEGO software. So far so good. BUT: When I add a control to the implementation vi, there is no plug for this new control shown in the data hub below the picture of the block. This behavior is indepent of the presents or contents of the Drawers.dat file. How do I manage, that the hub is expanded by the new control?

Thanks, Detlef

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 45
(13,750 Views)

Hi again,

does anybody have a suggestion for the issue I describes above?

After adding an additional control to the example vi of the Toolkit and importing the new block into the mindstorm software, the block only has the initial four controls in the data hub, but the new fifth data "test" isn't mentioned.

Look below for a view to the configuration.

Thanks for any hints!

Regards, Detlef

Example Block  

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 45
(13,726 Views)

Have you wired your new control to the connector pane?  I'm not sure that's the problem, but it seems like a possible explanation.

In case you haven't, here's a document that provides more detail on how to do this:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361F-01/lvconcepts/building_connector_pane/

(Note that, while the page says "LabVIEW 2009 Help," most of it still applies to older versions of LabVIEW.)

------
James Blair
NI R&D
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 45
(13,715 Views)

Hi James,

thank you very much! This was the information I needed. Now it works fine.

I never read about the connector pane before in any document I have about the NXT-Toolkit. Now I do 🙂

Regards

Detlef

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 45
(13,709 Views)

I have a block with an integer field and a drop down unit selector.  Is it possible to have the integer input change when the dropdown "units" value is changed? 

For example if 22 and mm are entered but then the mm is changed to lego block units, can the 22 be scaled and updated on the block?

I know you can change a control's value with a property node, but how do I get this to update only when the unit value is changed?

Thanks for any ideas,

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 45
(13,668 Views)

I am currently using Labview 2009 with the NXT Module and am trying to create blocks for the Lego Mindstorm NXT 2.0 with firmware v1.28

Can I create blocks for the Lego software directly with Labview 2009 or do I need the toolkit found here: http://digital.ni.com/express.nsf/bycode/lvtoolkitlego

I am under the impression that this can only be accomplished with Labview 7.1, but I just want to check before I start downloading a ton of stuff.

Right now, I have a labview program that will compile and run successfully on the NXT device, but want to import this to the Lego NXT software.

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 45
(13,226 Views)

New User here...

Possibly dumb question: I'm using Labview 7.1 with the Lego Mindstorms Toolkit.

I use the the "Create new NXT Block Wizard" to create a basic sensor block example.

Question: When I load in the "Draw Simple Sensor Block.vi" file into Labview to edit, I can't

see the graphic controls view that will be loaded seen by users within the Lego Mindstorms software, when loaded.

Example: What I see/get is pictured below on the left. I downloaded a functional NXT block from a website and 

installed it into the LEGO system, works great. 

However, when I load the "DRAW.vi" file for it, or any other "DRAW.vi" file, I cannot see what the User interface

will look like for editing. 

LABVIEW EDIT SCREEN               LEGO Mindstorms Block

Draw PCF8574.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 45
(11,009 Views)

hi;

i need some help for my nxt mindstorm  robot which is suppose to detect obstacles and he has to realize the color of the ball(blue or red), head it towards  and type it up to the point of gol;
we start by using the motor button and then via bth;
thank you for your response

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 45
(10,859 Views)

I found a site that had an alpha rex program. One for the head, one for legs, and one for arms. Same thing with the robogator on my nxt software, and that even walks you through the programming, but its for three different programs also. My question is how do i make all these programs into one so that the robot will do everything its supposed to. Can you please help me somehow, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 45
(10,502 Views)